Replacing Fuel pump seals (with pics) *DONT DELETE*

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

yeo1

dandy's beatification

Post by yeo1 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:52 pm

Mikeontheb4c wrote -
And I think Dandy should be beatified. To say you need patience (of a saint) for this job is an understatement. You need stamina too -
I think Dandy should be a tad worried about this as my dictionary defines 'beatify' as "to announce formally in the Roman Catholic Church that someone who is dead has lived a holy life, usually as the first stage in making that person a saint"
However I can confirm that north of the border the man is very much alive and is already regarded by many up here as a saint.
For example, a month ago my bongo suffered a catastrophic aneurysm and bled to death at the side of the road in a cloud of steam . Twenty minutes after a tearful phone call, it was all the kings horses and all the kings men, as dandy rolled up and put it all back together again - head hose replaced, full coolant change and all that that involves.
So I suggest we leave Dandy's beatification for the moment and knight him instead.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:56 pm

My lexdyscia saw that as beautified - I've just gone out and bought a load of goodies from Boots................ :?

..................and as for the holy life..................... :shock: :lol:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Captainsideways

Post by Captainsideways » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:42 pm

Just thought I'd add to this thread as I've just done this

To access the area a little better:

Remove the TPS parts (mark position beforehand though)
You can nudge the rear most fuel pipes a little to get your hand down the back ;)

The O ring seals are R20 as per my O ring box selection. There are two one at the back & one at the front, which I'm not sure was made obvious in the original post???. I prized my rear most one out with a small blade.

The symptoms of this leak are a slightl hesitation to get started, so I assume the leak causes a pressure loss in the lines & it takes a few cranks to get the fuel pressure back up again?
alphabetter
Bongolier

Post by alphabetter » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:52 pm

Captainsideways wrote: To access the area a little better:

Remove the TPS parts (mark position beforehand though)
You can nudge the rear most fuel pipes a little to get your hand down the back ;)
TPS = what???
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:25 pm

Thanks for that capt'n. I hope your seals work ok - the Bosch ones are more squarish/oval in shape with pressure grooves in them - you can just make it out in the pic.

Going to have to take another look at mine - I can se a slight fuel weep at the same area again :?

Have you ever tinkered with the TPS settings??
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Captainsideways

Post by Captainsideways » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:31 pm

Not ever played with the TPS on a Bongo, never needed to. Though Have plenty experience with others especially Toyotas!!

My O ring seals were failrly deep in cross section & gave a good squidge factor when I closed the plates up, so I assume they'll be fine. Its been running & tested & all works good so far.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:52 pm

I like a good squidge factor capt'n :lol:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
gwyddfor

Post by gwyddfor » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:06 am

Hi,

just like to say had my seals done this week as dripping a bit of fuel, and the 'how to guide' was spot on. My local garage, who are clued up on Bongos (is that right, or is it 'Bongoes'?), said it saved some, but not all, of the skin on their knuckles! Many thanks

Mark
Big Rich

Aint it nice !

Post by Big Rich » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:29 pm

Great write up, and quality pictures, its nice you give extra time to document it so well to help others ......thanks Rich :D :D :D
Allans
Bongolier

Re: Replacing Fuel pump seals (with pics) *DONT DELETE*

Post by Allans » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:53 am

As an update to Dandys great post on replacing these seals. These are the ones that commonly leak.
A word of caution, around 30-40% of the time, other seals fail after replacing these. But that does mean 60-70% of the time, they don't.

You can now buy a couple of different seal kits from Bongo Land
https://bongoland.co.uk/

Replace the seals mentioned in Dandys post.
Or replace this lot! You remove the pump to do this. Keep the work area spotlessly clean. I recommend placing all parts methodically in a tray or container.
Here's the seals you can replace if you remove the pump.
Attachments
Diesel pump seals
Diesel pump seals
Servicing Bongos since 2003 in Plymouth, Devon http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk

Return to “Techie Stuff”