Squiffy Roof!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Re: Squiffy Rooof !

Post by thedogsbollox » Tue May 07, 2013 7:37 am

If I am going to do it, I am going to do it right so I have piece of mind. Will take some pics.
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Squiffy Rooof !

Post by Ian » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:49 pm

I have unlocked this old topic because we have tracked down Sandstone's original photos. It will be useful for the archive.

668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Valtercw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Squiffy Roof!

Post by Valtercw » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:54 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and stuck with an AFT project. I know it's an old tread, but worth asking. My wife and I have a Mercedes Sprinter as a DIY campervan. We got a AFT with the old Bongo metal frame attached to the fiber glass top. That was cut at the wrecking place where we bought it.
As the original Bongo's frame is being trimmed and the roof of the Sprinter will be cut as well, in order to attached the AFT using a welder, I was wondering where the electric motors are located on the AFT to find out how far can I go with the trimming. Also, I couldn't find anywhere a 3D view to see where the mechanics/sliders are located too, and the electrical diagram of the wiring to hopefully put that to work.
I hope the pictures can give some idea.
Any information would highly appreciated.
M thanks.
Valter
Attachments
IMG_20200817_104240.jpg
SAVE_20200817_104739.jpg
SAVE_20200817_104752.jpg
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:02 pm

Did you get the control computer and all its wiring looms ? Because if you didn't, its going to be rather difficult!

Some mechanical diagrams here http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html

electrical diagrams here
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Valtercw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Valtercw » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi Geoff, thanks for the quick reply.

Actually I think I haven't got the control computer, except it is inside the roof somewhere. What the control computer actually controls?, the speed of the motor, any sensors? As it is a conversion, I was thinking to bypass the safety system like the handbreak for instance with a push and hold switch wired straight to the electric motors. That would raise and lower the AFT if it makes sense? If you have any links or pictures of the control computer that you could post, it would be brilliant.
Also, any ideas where the motor is actually located?
Thanks in advance!.
Valter
Valtercw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Valtercw » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:06 pm

PS. Thanks for sending the diagram, that really helps!.
sandstone
Bongonaut

Post by sandstone » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:06 pm

The motors are at the rear of the top cover. It looks as though the roof is unopened so they cannot be accessed without activating the motors .

This can be addressed by connecting to bongo wiring looms . Otherwise best to open the roof by direct electrical means by such as connecting 12v to the "open" signal to the motors simoultaneously. The wiring diagrams will tell you this.

The controls are via the bongo ECU logic I think , so if you are not going to use this you may have to incorporate some home grown logic as there's limit switches . The ECU incorporates some safety aspects such as a timed warning sound initiated by switch in top roof, making you do a search of roof space before driving roof down.
Valtercw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Valtercw » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi Sandstone, thanks for the info.

I'll follow the electrical diagram to find the right connections and probably connect the 12v to the "open" signal to the motors simultaneously as you've suggested and hopefully, it will work straight away. Also, figure it out what's the best way to keep it safe and easy to operate with the original computer control, or a home grown logic.

Thanks once again.

Best,

Valter
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:11 pm

Be warned don't overrun the motors beyond the limit switch positions if you decide to manually operate it you will end up buckling the Teleflex cables.
Circuits and internals of the computer shown on the diagrams. Motors are on the top surface close to the sides sides at rear under plastic pop off covers.
The control computer is no doubt now crushed as its inside the vehicle at the rear offside, all you will have is the cabling cut at the point where it enters the roof, There are 4 limit switches 2 at front(down) one at rear(up) and one halfway for safety check.
Never run one motor on its own or when one is removed from roof the two motors are synced by the pair of Teleflex cables, as each cable passes thru both motor mountings on the crown gear.
See images of roof switches and mechanical\parts here http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/aft/
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Valtercw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Valtercw » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:48 pm

Hi g8dhe, thanks for letting me know, and you're absolutely right. I'm aware to never run one motor on its own. Now everything makes a lot more sense. The safety switches are key to keep the system healthy. Just one more question, what's the whole on the left-hand-side near the glass for? it looks like some kind of ventilation to me. You'll be able to see it on the first picture I've attached.

Thanks for now,

Valter
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:03 pm

Welcome aboard. 8)

The hole is so if you have children sleeping in the roof you can reach up and shake a shoulder, should you need to wake them, as you can't open the hatch with someone on it.

I've also heard that you can use it to pass drinks up but that doesn't really seem likely or plausable to me. :?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:30 pm

and I do believe after you have drunk the drink you can also get rid of it down a tube thru the hole ;-)

Yes the small internal hole helps equalise the pressure whilst the roof is being raised/lowered :-)
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Valtercw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Valtercw » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:32 pm

Thanks guys, that's good to know!.

As I don't have children yet, perhaps I could use the hole to pass some beers to my friends "upstairs" :lol:

Very informative overall :D
sandstone
Bongonaut

Post by sandstone » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:38 pm

I think this porthole only works for air (and beer) going upwards when opening, there is another vent at the small end of the wedge of cheese which exhausts air when closing.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Also, personaly I leave the main hatch folded back when the roof is closed to enable access to the sliding cover over the roof window. :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”