Remote locking, fobs & blades...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

spiky

Remote locking, fobs & blades...

Post by spiky » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi,
Had a bit of a trawl through the search function and looked at the factsheet on the members area. So I'm thinking of having a go at putting remote central locking in place. (I have a new shape bongo with central locking via the drivers door.)

So I figure I need a keyfob that transmits along with it's reciever kit and an actuator to move the lock and trigger the doors. All good so far I think :-)

Ok, so looking around I find a lot of ugly fobs that leave the standard key alone. Simple but not that elegant. Had a look at the key for a new mazda at the weekend to fin that the blade that collapses into the remote keyfob is the same as the bongo's. Much better imho.

A quick trawl finds this here.

Which looks like it might do the job, but what about getting the correct blade and then keys cut? Does anyone have experience of anything similar?

Cheers.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: Remote locking, fobs & blades...

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Welcome to the forum :D
Nice find 8) I've already trashed one transmitter, I guess it's just a matter of trawling the keycutters now to see who can do the necessary with the blades, unless someone can come up with the goods on here.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:06 pm

I would go for someone with good form on the key cutting... You wouldn't want an amateur to screw it up??

I would go for a decent alarm system... I have some thing that can open on proximity... (if i want.)

Put the control box in the footwell, not the door... Less trouble! :wink:

Though that is indeed a nice find!! :D Welcome Spiky!! 8) 8) :P
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
spiky

Post by spiky » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:49 am

Looks like the blades at least exist. I'll try and get some from the UK and take them to try and get them cut before ordering the rest. probably worth a punt for a few pounds to find out...
spiky

Post by spiky » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:21 pm

Even better, I have discovered this website's kit. They can supply the correct blank MZ24 blades with it. To be completely tarty you can have the Mazda logo to boot :D

In it's simplest form I am just thinking of the above plus the actuator, which comes to less than £40 with shipping.

Just considering whether to go down the alarm route as well whilst I am at it. Not sure about the alarm/immobiliser side, never had a vehicle with an alarm and I tend not to park in dodgy places...

Will probably order tonight and post up pics/details when I have fitted it.
djswain1
Bongonaut

Post by djswain1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:18 pm

It's disgraceful how lazy you get, I'm starting to find it really annoying having to use the central locking on the drivers door or heaven forbid lock/unlock doors individually.. got so used to pressing a button on a blipper on my last couple of cars..
I've just purchased a remote locking kit from them and a 2 wire actuator today (found them and ordered via eBay).. :wink:
I decided against the flip out key fob and went for the model with the fixed key as I wasn't sure of the quality of the flip out key.
Decided not to bother with an alarm at the moment (though an immobiliser is already fitted to our Bongo). Hopefully will be reasonably easy to fit. Will let you now how I get on & try and remember to take some pics while fitting it..
Dave & Jo
2.5 TD auto 4WD AFT 8 seater
T4 Fiamma bike rack
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:00 am

There is a guide on fitting the remote central locking in the members area factsheets, which should help.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 am

You may want to think twice about changing to keyless locking after reading this

http://www.crypto.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/im ... keeloq.pdf

Read the sections relating to attack and eavesdropping on keyless systems. If they can hack your computer they can hack your lock.

In fact, to save wading through the techno stuff go to the final paragraph
The assumption that extracting the manufacturer key from the software running
in a receiver is very demanding and it thus could be regarded as being
stored more securely than a device key of a remote control, does no longer hold.
With the developed SPA attack, the manufacturer key can be extracted even
much simpler than the device keys - a tragedy for the security of all owners of
KeeLoq-based RKE systems
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
spiky

Post by spiky » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Diplomat wrote:You may want to think twice about changing to keyless locking after reading this

http://www.crypto.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/im ... keeloq.pdf

Read the sections relating to attack and eavesdropping on keyless systems. If they can hack your computer they can hack your lock.

In fact, to save wading through the techno stuff go to the final paragraph
The assumption that extracting the manufacturer key from the software running
in a receiver is very demanding and it thus could be regarded as being
stored more securely than a device key of a remote control, does no longer hold.
With the developed SPA attack, the manufacturer key can be extracted even
much simpler than the device keys - a tragedy for the security of all owners of
KeeLoq-based RKE systems
Thanks but any system can be broken, I've seen enough bad crypto out their to know all about that :D I'd like to think I know a bit about security of systems (I'll happily build my own firewalls and have been through the learning to pick locks, obsession with obscure unix systems and tunneling encrypted data across as many convoluted paths as possible many years ago.).
So yes there may be a weakness there.
Is it more likely, or will it result in a more serious consequence, than a traditional break in now?
Is any increase in likelihood, or consequence, worth the extra day to day convenience?

For me personally, I'll chance it ;-)
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:03 pm

Yeah, there's probably a bigger danger of conventional break in!

I think those guys did it for the intellectual exercise and for something to present at the conference.

If hackers do start treating it as a challenge they will probably be more intent on denying access than gaining it.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
djswain1
Bongonaut

Post by djswain1 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:58 pm

Unfortunately security is so low on a Bongo that any one could break in pretty easily any way.
Using remote locking (as 95% of new cars do) is not something that would worry me.
I decided not to bother with a car alarm, not many people take any notice of an alarm these days.. (other then wanting it to shut up & cursing the owner for it going off).
If some git was doing a smash & grab they wouldn't think twice about setting an alarm off and for people worried about the Bongo being nicked on a recovery truck/low loader how many of those have you seen driving around with an alarm going. Those brazen enough to commit such a crime would probably front any one who questioned them no doubt with a plausible excuse i..e the car is being repossessed etc
The best thing to do is keep valuables out of sight try and park in reasonably safe places and keep your fingers crossed.
Dave & Jo
T4 Fiamma bike rack
djswain1
Bongonaut

Post by djswain1 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:44 pm

The kit arrived today with the correct key blanks hope to find time at the weekend for fitting & to get the keys cut
Dave & Jo
T4 Fiamma bike rack
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:46 pm

Let us know how you get on, how solid do the fobs look/feel?
spiky

Post by spiky » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:49 pm

djswain1 wrote:The kit arrived today with the correct key blanks hope to find time at the weekend for fitting & to get the keys cut
Just got around to ordering mine today. Hopefully all will go smoothly for both of us. I'll let you know what the folding keys are like when they turn up...
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:51 pm

Nice one 8) a much neater alternative when my blipper finally falls apart if they work out ok.

Return to “Techie Stuff”