Post by the guvnor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:32 pm

ok. following on from other posts.....im still having probs :(

So far i have had strange noises coming from the bongo and a lot of steam #-o

What have i done.....well.....

Changed water pump...bearings were on last legs
New bearings in alternator...one set had collapsed so were replaced
New rad...water was leaking from the top seam

All is good and it is driving well with no leaks.......but

from cold its ticks over like crap, runs really lumpy and there is a noisey tapping sound that increases as you accelerate ! When warm it ticks over well but still has the noisey tapping !
Not being much of a mechanic i have run out of ideas :?

Was considering maybe tappits ?

also, when i moved belts the pulley between the crank and the water pump seemed to be loose ......is this normal....is it just a free running pulley ?

Any other ideas would be appreciated as i want my baby ready for the sunshine !!! :lol:

It really is driving me mad at the moment :evil:

Cheers
Kev
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Cant find the problem....pls help !!!

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:40 pm

Didn't think any pulley should be loose - is that causing the tapping noise as it spins?
Are you using veg oil at all? If not, try some injector cleaner in the tank.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
the guvnor

Post by the guvnor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:05 pm

my thoughts aswell franco.........wasnt sure if the pulley was meant to run free.
it just seemed that the pulley didnt actually do anything apart from hold the belts in position.

Did use veggy oil......but havnt for a while.........and i have also put the cleaner in the fuel.
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:38 pm

the guvnor wrote:my thoughts aswell franco.........wasnt sure if the pulley was meant to run free.
it just seemed that the pulley didnt actually do anything apart from hold the belts in position.
Looking at the manual, the pulley between the crankshaft and water pump pulleys is the alternator pulley (common drive belt). Or am I looking at the wrong one?
If it is the alternator, I would have thought this would spin relatively freely when the belt is off.
And could this possibly be where the tapping sound is coming from? (alternator)
Steve
the guvnor

Post by the guvnor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:49 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:
the guvnor wrote:my thoughts aswell franco.........wasnt sure if the pulley was meant to run free.
Looking at the manual, the pulley between the crankshaft and water pump pulleys is the alternator pulley (common drive belt). Or am I looking at the wrong one?
If it is the alternator, I would have thought this would spin relatively freely when the belt is off.
And could this possibly be where the tapping sound is coming from? (alternator)
Alternator is fine matey. Been checked over and bearings replaced. As for the pulley, if you look from front of vehicle. left to right is...if i remember rightly... alternator, water pump, wobbly one then the crank.
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:11 pm

I must be looking at the wrong engine - sorry. I assumed that yours was a 2.5 diesel.
Either that or the manual aint right. :shock:
Steve
the guvnor

Post by the guvnor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:12 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:I must be looking at the wrong engine - sorry. I assumed that yours was a 2.5 diesel.
Either that or the manual aint right. :shock:
It is a 2.5 diesel !!! Will have another look tomorrow, phaps im goin mad !! :roll:
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:24 pm

Extract from manual that I'm looking at.

Is this the right area?

Steve
the guvnor

Post by the guvnor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:40 pm

widdowson2008 wrote:Extract from manual that I'm looking at.

Is this the right area?

it is mate =D> .....i was going wrong way sorry, right to left not left to right........ :oops:
im certain (will check in daylight) the loose pully was between the water pump and crank. wondering wether it is just a guide roller of some sort.....or......im goin mad !!!!!
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:47 pm

Got me intrigued now.
I'm not an impatient bloke......well not a lot anyway.....................but...............can't you get a torch and go and have a look. I'll not get to sleep if it is unresolved. :P
Steve
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:28 pm

Can't sort your current problem but if both the waterpump AND alternator bearing packed up then the belts have been too tight :?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
the guvnor

Post by the guvnor » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:58 pm

I have investigated more in daylight lol...........hope you slept widdowson :lol:

ok so i was sort of correct in what i remembered :wink: the 'loose' pulley i refer to sits directly behind the crank pully ! this is were the drive belts sit, it is seperate to were the belt for the air con sits and it does not obviosly move wen the belts are on because of the pressure but with no belts it seems to slide freely from side to side. after looking more closely and adjusting/ loosening a few belts i may have cured the main noise =D> will now more when i start her from cold (sounded like a bag of bolts this morning !!!!) but i still have a sound that i hope resembles tappits. Looks like it could be the next job on the list !

Still not sure if the said pully is meant to be like it is though !!!!!!! #-o
widdowson2008
Supreme Being

Post by widdowson2008 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:34 pm

the guvnor wrote:.........the 'loose' pulley i refer to sits directly behind the crank pully ! this is were the drive belts sit, it is seperate to were the belt for the air con sits and it does not obviosly move wen the belts are on because of the pressure but with no belts it seems to slide freely from side to side. after looking more closely and adjusting/ loosening a few belts i may have cured the main noise =D> will now more when i start her from cold (sounded like a bag of bolts this morning !!!!) but i still have a sound that i hope resembles tappits. Looks like it could be the next job on the list !

Still not sure if the said pully is meant to be like it is though !!!!!!! #-o
I have never had this pulley arrangement apart so I cannot speak from 1st hand experience, but from what you describe and looking at the diagrams, the way I see it is this: there are 2 separate pulleys on the crankshaft.
The front crankshaft pulley drives the air co and air con compressor.
The rear crankshaft pulley drives the alternator and the water pump.
ie: the alternator and air-con both receive their drive from the crankshaft and I believe NEITHER of these should be free to either rotate or slide laterally on the crankshaft. If the key which drives the pulleys is damaged allowing pulley movement, this could be the source of the clicking noise.
As the loose pulley you refer to (the rear one) drives the water pump (an essential part of the cooling system), personally, I would be reluctant to even start the engine until I had investigated and found/fixed the cause of movement.
I will check to see if I can find the relevant assembly diagram to find out the build up. I'LL BE BACK.
I'm back. The following pages show the crankshaft pulleys to be common. ie a solid unit. There should be no apparent movement - they are one and the same thing.
http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html
http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html
Can you confirm precisely which pulley appears to be 'loose'. A pic would help immensly.
Just read bongoing-mad-simons input, and he IS talking from experience. =D> =D>
Last edited by widdowson2008 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve
bongoing-mad-simon
Bongolier

Post by bongoing-mad-simon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:48 pm

i have the same kind of noise ,it goes when its warmed up found out that when i replaced the belts they were not a matched set, so bongo suffers from belt slap,as one is slightly longer than the other, thought i'd save a few quid but at sometime i have to change belts again #-o worth a look.
Simon

I'm Bongoing mad R U?
FREDA MIND
Bongolier

Post by FREDA MIND » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:02 pm

hi guys, interesting thread,,, ive got to change the water pump in next few days, how tight do the aux drive belts need to be???
cheers ricky
have yourself a midlife chrisis,,,,go buy a bongo!

Return to “Techie Stuff”