Manual over-ride for auto free top?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

catherinemcgrath

Manual over-ride for auto free top?

Post by catherinemcgrath » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi we just had a bit of a scare when we couldn't close roof! Turned out we didn't have handbrake fully engaged but made me wonder what happens if the motor goes or for any reason you cannot get roof down. Is there no way you can manually close it? Thanks in advance Bongo People. #-o
Rhinoman
Bongolier

Re: Manual over-ride for auto free top?

Post by Rhinoman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Sort off, you should have a bag that contains an allen key and a piece of string/cord. In short the procedure involves unbolting the motors with the allen key and pulling the roof shut with the cord. This is detailled in the OWners Manual (I did wonder what the allen key and cord were for!)
1995 Ford Freda, 2.5TD, auto, AFT, side conversion.
catherinemcgrath

Post by catherinemcgrath » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Thanks so much that sounds really sensible - but we didn't get that handy sounding bit of kit when we bought said Bongo! Or manual for that matter but sounds as if we should make that purchase and find a local supplier for cord and key (any ideas on suppliers out there - Yorkshire-ish?) Thanks Catherine
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:30 pm

I found this on the forum, you can buy some cord and an allen key. :)
... about 10 metres or so of white nylon cord (about 4mm diameter??) and a small allen key, about 4mm in size...
You use the allen key to unbolt the motors at the rear of the AFT, and then thread the cord over the top and pull it down manually. Finally the cord is tied through the two side windows to prevent it blowing backup when moving (keep the speed down).
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Rhinoman
Bongolier

Post by Rhinoman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:30 pm

For the cord I would suggest some curtain cord, thats pretty strong stuff and readily available. Alternatively maybe a tent guy line would do, actually thats what I thought it was at first. The allen key should be just a standard metric jobbie, I'll dig it out and measure it for you if no one posts up before tomorrow eve.
1995 Ford Freda, 2.5TD, auto, AFT, side conversion.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:31 pm

some curtain cord, thats pretty strong stuff and readily available. Alternatively maybe a tent guy line would do
That's a good idea.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:33 pm

if you havnt got cord then the solution we came up with was to have the passenger stick their hand out of the window and hold it down.
fortunately we were nearly home (it happened at a york meeting) so took it steady but it was raining hard. it was fun that day
mike, jo and emma
catherinemcgrath

Post by catherinemcgrath » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:35 pm

Wow how good is this Forum = thanks so much for help and advice. I need never worry about driving up the M1 with my green top on display again!!! Thanks again Catherine
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:48 pm

Just to clarify, a set of allen keys in the toolbox should give you one that fits if motors need disconnecting. The rope/cord is for holding the roof down while you travel - if has to be passed over the roof and through the passenger windows and tied off. Its very crude! If the roof should go, I believe it is a bit of a faff doing the job. One thing I reckon its good to be aware of is that putting the roof up in a high wind is taking a risk. Also, when windy and if you must put the roof up, park with back to wind. I've often thought it would make sense to make up storm braces for fitting in windy conditions, to brace the roof and take load off the lifting gear, but I've not got round to trying that. :roll:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:18 pm

& check the switch under the console isn't corroded/oxidised & not making proper contact, I've dealt with a few that just needed the switch cleaning off to make proper contact.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.

Return to “Techie Stuff”