AFT roof light - the "secret" switch

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Gripped
Bongolier

AFT roof light - the "secret" switch

Post by Gripped » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:20 pm

I finally managed to discover why my AFT roof light would only work intermittently. I always knew there would be a switch somwhere which is automatically pressed when the roof closes, but I couldn't find it - neither could an auto electician. Then the below description post by "Roofraisers" saved the day. Just wanted to highlight this, as I bet it is common for the switch to stick "off" leaving the light with no power. I have now squirted a bit of silicon lubricant in the spring of the switch and hopefully that will fix it. Quote as follows:

If you lower the roof so its about 2 feet open & then have a look on the passenger side aft roof slide rail at the front, you should see a push button switch. Push it with your finger (you may still need the aid of a step ladder ) and see if the light turns on or off. The roof light should not illuminate when the aft roof is down so reducing the risk of flattening your battery over time if the Bongo isn't used.

Cheers =D>
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Re: AFT roof light - the "secret" switch

Post by wishmaster » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:26 pm

Interesting is that :o shall take a look meself when i get a chance :)

Iz
I have a plan and its as HOT as my pants

IZZY

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/izzy2619/
PJ_Bristol
Bongonaut

Post by PJ_Bristol » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:45 pm

This just solved my problem thank you +++
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:36 pm

Its one of a pair of switches, one each side, that detect when the roof has reached the fully down position and the sliders are inside the shrouds that stop them lifting when you drive. The nearside one also turns off the internal light as well ;-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”