Re: air con fan is weak

Post by Mctavish » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:42 pm

:D
If it ain't broke don't fix it - Amen.
Pete & Sue
Tribal Elder

Post by Pete & Sue » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:25 am

Just had the aircon serviced after reading all the aircon topics on the forum.

The Bong was attached to a machine that emptied the remaining gas; all 40 grammes of it! It then purged and cleaned the system, did some sort of test before recharging with the appropriate amount of dye, gas and oil; 950 grammes and 14 ml oil, as per the forum info. Thanks Kirstie, you're a star. The system was then checked for any leaks etc., and given a clean bill of health. All this took about 1 1/2 - 2 hours; very busy place, but worth the wait.

The nice man reckoned that although the gas was almost depleted the fact that I use the aircon so much meant that the o rings were kept lubricated and had not perished. He also said that aircon should be used regularly all year round, not just during the summer; the lack of use apparently quite often the cause of compressor failure, and that it is a good idea to have the pressure checked each year and to have the system checked/topped-up every 3 years.

The system works so well, cools the interior down quite quickly, the compressor kicks in happily, nice dry air whether hot or cold. I especially like the 25 degree setting where you have cool air blowing from the top vents and warm air from the floor vents, roll on winter! Well, not just yet!

The rear aircon is also working perfectly, just adjust the temperature, mode etc., on the rear control panel and lovely dry, conditioned cold through to hot air with no probs. Hopefully no more uncomfortable passengers.

All this for £50 + vat.

What a difference and all thanks to the forum for making me realise how important it is to keep the aircon properly maintained.
Pete & Sue

Turned out nice again!
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Just to follow up from my air leak on the vent system due to perished foam stuff...

I got a roll of this stuff for about £4.50.. A hell of a lot cheaper for the roll than the 5 or 6 quid Halfords charge for a mouse mat size...! :shock:

Cut a gasket about 16cm x 23cm? The frame/border 15mm... (Don't quote me.)

With a bit of double side on the corners to stop it slipping, & saving a fiddle, slapped it on the fan side..

This helps when putting the fan assembly back in place...
It kind of hooks in at the bottom & tightens in at the top, pulling it together.

No more air escaping when the fans running. :D Here...

Or here!

Though it could be said that air escaping when the AC is on might help to keep the engine bay cool...?!! :roll: :wink:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
danboy99
Bongonaut

Post by danboy99 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Good write up.

Thanks!
Dan
roofraisers
Bongolier

Post by roofraisers » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:12 pm

Jaylee. Any chance of a bit more information about " your role of stuff "

What it's called & where you purchased it from would be a great help...(in a none advertising type way) :roll: & then I feel some open lung surgery coming on to help Bongo inhabitants breath more easily.... that rather sounds like another old TV advert #-o

Nigel
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:02 am

Hi Nigel,

The role (or roll?) :oops: of stuff.... Is that non slip dash matting sheet you get to stop stuff sliding about...
It was a shop called Wilkinsons, (a sort of jack of all Woolworths style set up) i think? In Chippenham... They did have some cheaper non branded stuff too a while back, which i should have took the opertunty of getting the first time #-o but when i went back they had moved the shop around & sold that stuff out... #-o They only had this left!

I know the old TV advert..!! It involved "a first class ticketdd do Dottingham ppplease"..? Achoo!! :wink:
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:17 am

Thank you all for the info from this thread. I tackled this job and it took a couple of hours to strip, clean and replace. My blower went from nothing to jet powered. Going to get some draught excluder tape and replace the sponge gasket.
Thanks again all.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:55 am

Funny enough, i was back in there myself at the weekend checking it over...

My wife got me one of these.. "I saw this & thought you could use it on the Bongo." :P

Quite handy, & goes with the telescopic led magnet i use to retrieve dropped stuff! :wink:

Just realized from the previous posts it 25 months ago i did this last time.. Still tidy in there! :mrgreen:

But i do have this problem now.. That's another story! :roll: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=57295
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 am

Pete & Sue

can i ask were you got it serviced
Ollymuk
Bongonaut

Post by Ollymuk » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:26 pm

Does anyone have a copy of the heater repair pdf that appears on page 1 of this thread?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:56 pm

Its in the Factsheet area of the Club, just sign in with your Club membership details, go to the members area and you can pull down anyone of the 100's of factsheets the club has pulled together!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”