air con fan is weak

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: air con fan is weak

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:13 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
I agree with that, Kirsty...never found mine blocked, and water wouldn't get past the rubber seal on the lip.
Cheers
Helen
I can see how the windscreen drain gets blocked, seen it many times, & I can see how that will then overflow, either from the ends of the channel of directly over the rubber lip, but I can't see how that then gets into the fan motor?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:14 pm

missfixit70 wrote:definitely worthwhile doing when you get the chance isn't it :D
jaylee wrote:Cheers Dan, Just off out to crack on with it..!! Though in fairness my fan assembly should be fine.
The fan it's self runs fine..! Never had any noisy or seizure problems with the fan, which is due to the guttering under the windscreen getting blocked, causing water ingress to the fan assembly??

I regularly check the gutter,drain hole & down pipe for crud & keep a large black unused cable tie for poking out any blockage... :wink:
I'm not sure where that theory came from, but having messed about with loads of heater fans/ducting etc in that area, I can't see how that theory stands up TBH. Could somebody show me where the water gets into the heater motor from the windscreen drain overflowing?
Everything seems to either have a raised lip or an impenetrable seal from water gaining access from above or anywhere external to the ducting etc. It makes more sense to me that it's moisture (rain mist, roadspray, etc) & crud being sucked or forced into the inlet scoop, then (especially when the fan isn't running) sitting in the plastic well of the housing that the motor sits in due to the fact a bit of crud or something has blocked the tiny drain hole there (hence me saying to open it up to 10mm or so like Mazda seem to have done on later models)
I'm quite happy to be proved wrong & shot down, but I see the windscreen drain theory as being a bit of a bongo urban myth :wink:

Not today Pardner!! :wink: I realize after my dig in the assembly round the front this morning... I was talking complete bullshine!?? :roll: :oops: :oops:

Though in my own defense.. :idea: If the hose that channels down from the window gully came off, water could run into the gubbins under the cover at the top of the AC cooler/fluff collector bit..? :D

By the way...! Has anyone put their hand where the fan assembly connects to this bit when the fan is running?? :-k Especially when the AC's on...
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:21 pm

jaylee wrote:Not today Pardner!! :wink: I realize after my dig in the assembly round the front this morning... I was talking complete bullshine!?? :roll: :oops: :oops:

Though in my own defense.. :idea: If the hose that channels down from the window gully came off, water could run into the gubbins under the cover at the top of the AC cooler/fluff collector bit..? :D
Doesn't that have a raised lip so that can't happen?

jaylee wrote:By the way...! Has anyone put their hand where the fan assembly connects to this bit when the fan is running?? :-k Especially when the AC's on...
No :wink: :lol:
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:36 pm

missfixit70 wrote:
jaylee wrote:Not today Pardner!! :wink: I realize after my dig in the assembly round the front this morning... I was talking complete bullshine!?? :roll: :oops: :oops:

Doesn't that have a raised lip so that can't happen?

Damn! #-o

missfixit70 wrote:
jaylee wrote:By the way...! Has anyone put their hand where the fan assembly connects to this bit when the fan is running?? :-k Especially when the AC's on...
No :wink: :lol:
You should...? Some of the air from the fan blower escapes round the edges... :idea:

I'm planning on making a gasket..! :wink: :lol:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:39 pm

I shall look out for that, possibility of gaining a few smidgins more of cooling oomph has got to be good :wink:
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:49 pm

missfixit70 wrote:I shall look out for that, possibility of gaining a few smidgins more of cooling oomph has got to be good :wink:
Precisely... I'm thinking of using some of that cheap non slip matting on a roll..? I've seen Meter by half for about a quid in my local cheap shop!!? Halfords charges a fiver for a mouse mat size! :shock:
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:53 pm

What about some of the self adhesive foam draught excluder type stuff? You know, the stuff that seems to breed in sheds & garages where you constantly get things tangled up in it/trip over it, until the point where you need it, which is when it seems to go into hibernation - or is that just me?
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:58 pm

Thought about that..! It maybe a little too fat.?

Just needs something a couple of mm thick to replace the degrading foam stuff that was there!

See top edge of this pic...

Mctavish
Bongonaut

Post by Mctavish » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 pm

As owner of that pic, I can confirm that indeed the foam stuff was properly degraded and a bit crumbly. I would go for a self adhesive draft excluder strip to replace it.

However, due to my antics in other areas of Bongo maintenance, my wife has now banned me from taking on any more jobs before the ferry departs on Sunday. [-X

All I'm allowed to do is clean, polish and pack.

Mctavish
If it ain't broke don't fix it - Amen.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:27 pm

Mctavish wrote:As owner of that pic, I can confirm that indeed the foam stuff was properly degraded and a bit crumbly. I would go for a self adhesive draft excluder strip to replace it.

However, due to my antics in other areas of Bongo maintenance, my wife has now banned me from taking on any more jobs before the ferry departs on Sunday. [-X

All I'm allowed to do is clean, polish and pack.

Mctavish
:wink: :lol: :lol:
danboy99
Bongonaut

Post by danboy99 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:41 pm

Sounds a good idea - mine's degraded big time as well - let us know if you find something which works.

I told my mechanic mate (and Bongo owner) I'd done the clear out today. He's going to do it to his too. He also said he is going to see if it is possible to rig up some sort of cabin filter... Don't know if any of you have tried this already but wouldn't it be great to have a disposable paper element (as you do in more modern vehicles) rather than have to take everything apart for a clean... !
Dan
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:47 pm

danboy99 wrote:Sounds a good idea - mine's degraded big time as well - let us know if you find something which works.

I told my mechanic mate (and Bongo owner) I'd done the clear out today. He's going to do it to his too. He also said he is going to see if it is possible to rig up some sort of cabin filter... Don't know if any of you have tried this already but wouldn't it be great to have a disposable paper element (as you do in more modern vehicles) rather than have to take everything apart for a clean... !
Mikeonb4c will be your best friend forever

Mikeonb4c will be your best friend forever :wink: :lol: Good idea in theory, but I'd be concerned you'd forever be changing it as it gets blocked up, let us know how he gets on, could be on to a winner if he gets it right :wink:
danboy99
Bongonaut

Post by danboy99 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:00 pm

I'll keep you posted if it goes anywhere - the other thing is it also must not obviously restrict the air flow much (or at all...)
Dan
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:02 pm

danboy99 wrote:I'll keep you posted if it goes anywhere - the other thing is it also must not obviously restrict the air flow much (or at all...)
Kinda what I was getting at with it getting blocked, too fine a mesh & it'll be blocking up every time it spins up, too big a mesh & it'll be pointless it being there :wink:
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:22 am

Mctavish wrote:As owner of that pic, I can confirm that indeed the foam stuff was properly degraded and a bit crumbly. I would go for a self adhesive draft excluder strip to replace it.

Mctavish

Indeed it was your pic that i used to highlight the crumbly foam..
After felling like one of these, with the tweezers & olive fork... I honestly didn't feel like being one o these..

(Looks like their marriage is already on the rocks..)

Great tip by the way! 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”