Rustproofing tips

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

apole
Supreme Being

Rustproofing tips

Post by apole » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi guys,

Other than today, I've been taking advantage of the good weather recently to ensure my car is as rust protected as I can reasonable make it.

A while back it was treated by rustmaster so the bulk of it is done. I have been taking time to look carefully at things to see if I can see other places that could do with some protection.

So far I've taken off the front grill, headlights etc and cleaned/treated all round the front.

All boltheads etc have been given a light coating. I've double checked the underside to make sure that is all in good condition, found a small area that had been subject to stone chipping so that was cleaned up and retreated.

Fred at discount gave it a good checkover and with his air powered spray has coated the towbar etc that was fitted after the underseal was applied.

I found the rear door rubber seal contains a strip of metal that has started to rust and in doing so has stained the bodywork where it attaches. I've carefully removed the strip and treated the internal metal and the bodywork it covers.

Planning still to do the following areas:

Under the air scoop in the bonnet as this rubs the paintwork which will go rusty. May also put on some light padding to prevent it rubbing.

Remove the rear light clusters and do under there. Remove the plastic cover under the wiper blades and treat.

Basically if anyone has any other areas they've found is subject to rust starting, please let me know.

Thanks guys.
dunslair
Supreme Being

Re: Rustproofing tips

Post by dunslair » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:34 pm

Check around the hole where you put the tyre release handle in and the drain holes in the bottom of the tailgate, as well as the usual places :wink: Sounds like you are well on top of it though!!!
the smoker

Post by the smoker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:11 pm

A place where i found that could be a potential rust area..is at the bottom of the front wings. my Bongo was purchased after it had been stood for a long while under a tree . when i went over her i put my finger in the gap i found dead leaves and a good few inches of damp mud. this is a drainage area so should be kept clear. it is an area that will always need cleaning as it catches muck etc thrown up from the front wheels.. i have now the hose pipe ban is over, given it a good blast out . i bet i could have filled a small plant pot from both sides.
FREDA MIND
Bongolier

Post by FREDA MIND » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:16 pm

hi aploe,
have you removed the rear cupholders over the rear arches,you can get access to all the inner rear quarter/ rear arch with a 360 degree sprayer, you can make one simply with a piece of flexy tube .put your waxoyle container in a bucket of boiling water 1st to fin it down/flow easier.you can fin it with white spirit also if its getting on...
what about the gap between inner and outer front wings?
battery tray?
rgards ricky :D
have yourself a midlife chrisis,,,,go buy a bongo!
apole
Supreme Being

Post by apole » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks for the tip guys.

Yes I've done both battery trays, had all the front bits off recently in the hot weather. No rust but water stains so I thought it can't hurt to give it a good coating.

Havent' done the cupholder part, deliberating about that, can do the sliding door side but the drivers side is going to be tough as I have a side conversion. Was hoping to get at this via the rear light wiring grommet (having removed the lights first). Wish I'd known about this before I had it converted, or even better idea would be for the converters to offer this whilst the van is all stripped down, be a great time to get at it all.

I will rig up something that can deliver the thinned (by heat) waxoyl and get it sorted this week if I can. Good time to be working on the car with the nice weather. Just removed and resprayed the wiper arms, had a look under the skuttle cover and all clear which is good as you often get rust starting round windscreens.

Thanks again for all the tips, much appreciated.

Andy
steveyd
Bongolier

Post by steveyd » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:00 am

Hi,

I've just started rustproofing mine - I got mine as a fresh import -its from Northern Japan and is quite rusty. The garage I bought it from did a rubbish job at undersealing it i.e. couldnt be bothered to drop the spare wheel so they undersealed around it and I have a nice round untreated patch!!!

Still, I found that the £17 garden sprayer for treating fences from Focus works a treat with waxoyl if you're on a budget!

cheers,

Steve

Return to “Techie Stuff”