Air Suspension

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dandemann8
Supreme Being

Re: Air Suspension

Post by dandemann8 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:22 pm

A can of WD40 is useful for lubrication to squeeze the bags in-between the springs :wink:
Bongo no more........... ;-(
progroup

Post by progroup » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:52 pm

I too looked into this option here in BC. Nothing available to fit the Bongo, so who can I safely order from in the UK. Its a one-way trip, no returns for the cost is high to get it here! [-o<

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. I need shocks too of course [185k on mileage], but again can't find here. I noticed a lot of rear end hopping and bottoming out of springs with 6 people onboard. More resistance is required, thus the airbag lift system. :wink:
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Post by dandemann8 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:20 pm

progroup wrote:I too looked into this option here in BC. Nothing available to fit the Bongo, so who can I safely order from in the UK. Its a one-way trip, no returns for the cost is high to get it here! [-o<

Cheers

This is where I had them from, scroll down page but becareful there's two types....

http://www.mattsavage.co.uk/acatalog/co ... rings.html
progroup

Post by progroup » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:44 pm

dandemann8 wrote:
progroup wrote:I too looked into this option here in BC. Nothing available to fit the Bongo, so who can I safely order from in the UK. Its a one-way trip, no returns for the cost is high to get it here! [-o<

Cheers

This is where I had them from, scroll down page but becareful there's two types....

http://www.mattsavage.co.uk/acatalog/co ... rings.html
Which one? My guess is the standard one as the vehicle isn't lowered. If I could, I'd rather put a 2" lift kit in it as well! :wink:
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Post by dandemann8 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Yup standard should be good :wink: :D You may find them on Ebay, but not sure of cost :wink:
progroup

Post by progroup » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:20 pm

dandemann8 wrote:Yup standard should be good :wink: :D You may find them on Ebay, but not sure of cost :wink:
Dan's the mann! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave
A1tony

Post by A1tony » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:50 pm

I have a V6 which had god-awful lowered suspension when it was imported (well to me it was anyway) kept the front lowered and standard springs put on the rear. All in all much better but the rear does hit the bump stops on speed bumps. I too have LPG and reckon I am going to try some of these to see if it cures it before I lob a bike rack on the back and a van full of camping gear.
petebee
Bongonaut

Post by petebee » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:31 pm

got mine from Matt Savage.I had an initial problem with incorrect spacers and instructions which resulted in the bags bursting.Spoke to Matt who was sympathetic and invited me to his workshop at Matlock,he fitted brand new bags and correct spacers at no cost now no more bottoming out better towing and comfortable ride.
He now knows what is needed for Bongos and is very customer friendly.
progroup

Post by progroup » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:42 pm

petebee wrote:got mine from Matt Savage.I had an initial problem with incorrect spacers and instructions which resulted in the bags bursting.Spoke to Matt who was sympathetic and invited me to his workshop at Matlock,he fitted brand new bags and correct spacers at no cost now no more bottoming out better towing and comfortable ride.
Thanks petebee; I'll order one in and try it out. Problem with North America is that no Bongos exist yet beyond mine. So, there is zero help on issues like this. Our own Canadian Tire sells similar air bag systems for around $125CDN; but I'd have to experiment a bit for a good fit!

Bongo Fury forum is where I can make an informed decision based on all those who time to contribute!! :D
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:38 pm

dandemann8 wrote:A can of WD40 is useful for lubrication to squeeze the bags in-between the springs :wink:
Thank Duncan for the tip :wink: do people just fit these to the rear or can they be fitted to the front aswell :?:

Izzy
I have a plan and its as HOT as my pants

IZZY

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/izzy2619/
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:47 pm

wishmaster wrote: Thank Duncan for the tip :wink: do people just fit these to the rear or can they be fitted to the front aswell :?:

Izzy
Like to see you try :wink: http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
progroup

Post by progroup » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:59 pm

wishmaster wrote:
dandemann8 wrote:A can of WD40 is useful for lubrication to squeeze the bags in-between the springs :wink:
Thank Duncan for the tip :wink: do people just fit these to the rear or can they be fitted to the front aswell :?:

Izzy
Ditto missfixit :lol:
No you can't because they are 'MacPherson Struts' - the spring encapsulates the shock absorber! :wink:
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:54 am

Thanks guys, you learn something new every day :wink:
I have a plan and its as HOT as my pants

IZZY

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/izzy2619/
Jaws
Bongolier

Post by Jaws » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:00 pm

progroup wrote:
petebee wrote:got mine from Matt Savage.I had an initial problem with incorrect spacers and instructions which resulted in the bags bursting.Spoke to Matt who was sympathetic and invited me to his workshop at Matlock,he fitted brand new bags and correct spacers at no cost now no more bottoming out better towing and comfortable ride.
Thanks petebee; I'll order one in and try it out. Problem with North America is that no Bongos exist yet beyond mine. So, there is zero help on issues like this. Our own Canadian Tire sells similar air bag systems for around $125CDN; but I'd have to experiment a bit for a good fit!

Bongo Fury forum is where I can make an informed decision based on all those who time to contribute!! :D
It should be pointed out that the (very good) Air Lift kit supplied by Matt Savage is actually produced in N. America. Given the appropriate part numbers it might be less expensive to order this from a more local supplier! Or direct from the manufacturer. (Sorry Matt)

http://www.airliftcompany.com/
Live Bongo and prosper.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Jaws wrote:
progroup wrote:

It should be pointed out that the (very good) Air Lift kit supplied by Matt Savage is actually produced in N. America. Given the appropriate part numbers it might be less expensive to order this from a more local supplier! Or direct from the manufacturer. (Sorry Matt)

http://www.airliftcompany.com/
Indeed. there is an old thread where Dandy talks all about fitting them, plus obtaining them (with parts numbers) from USA:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 2&start=30

Worth a read. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”