no charge and sediment light on dash

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Fassi
Bongolier

Re: no charge and sediment light on dash

Post by Fassi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:12 pm

g8dhe wrote:The supply for the dashboard lights comes via the Ignition key on this fuse;
That would not normally be swapped over to the LB, the SCR circuit will make no difference.
The light is turned on by a circuit within the alternator providing an earth to the lamp when the alternator is not producing any charging current, once there is a charging current the earth is removed and the light goes out.

So with the engine OFF but the Ignition switch ON, connect an earth to the thin Blue/Orange wire coming from the alternator on the two pin plug. The Charge and Sediment lights should come on.
That will prove the lamp and the wiring to the alternator are OK. If not check the lamp in the dashboard.
Given that you don't have a flat battery (?) then the earth from the alternator to the chassis should be OK, otherwise you would rapidly have a flat battery. If the situation is as above then the detection circuit in the alternator must be faulty.

Great stuff, thanks. I'll check this tomorrow. :D
1995 2.5 TD
Fassi
Bongolier

Post by Fassi » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:08 pm

g8dhe wrote:The supply for the dashboard lights comes via the Ignition key on this fuse;
That would not normally be swapped over to the LB, the SCR circuit will make no difference.
The light is turned on by a circuit within the alternator providing an earth to the lamp when the alternator is not producing any charging current, once there is a charging current the earth is removed and the light goes out.

So with the engine OFF but the Ignition switch ON, connect an earth to the thin Blue/Orange wire coming from the alternator on the two pin plug. The Charge and Sediment lights should come on.
That will prove the lamp and the wiring to the alternator are OK. If not check the lamp in the dashboard.
Given that you don't have a flat battery (?) then the earth from the alternator to the chassis should be OK, otherwise you would rapidly have a flat battery. If the situation is as above then the detection circuit in the alternator must be faulty.
Ok. So when I connect an earth I get the lamps to come on, just as you describe. So the detection circuit is faulty. Is there any point in changing the alternator just for this? Cheers
1995 2.5 TD
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:35 am

Well yes! If you don't the first you will know is when you can't start due to a flat battery!
Also it might be that the detection circuit is OK, but the diodes are leaky and not giving the full charge rate, in which case the problem above will be sooner rather than later.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Fassi
Bongolier

Post by Fassi » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:50 am

g8dhe wrote:Well yes! If you don't the first you will know is when you can't start due to a flat battery!
Also it might be that the detection circuit is OK, but the diodes are leaky and not giving the full charge rate, in which case the problem above will be sooner rather than later.

I think what you say about the diodes is possible. The battery never seems to get charged properly even though it is getting something. I've got a second hand alternator there. So I'll put it on and have a dabble with the old one. Thanks
1995 2.5 TD
Duane126
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Duane126 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Sounds like a bad earth, have you checked for volt drop on the engine earth?
#ichoosefreda
Duane126
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Duane126 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Duane126 wrote:Sounds like a bad earth, have you checked for volt drop on the engine earth?
Did you get to the bottom of your problem?
I had a quick look at the wiring diagram and it looks like the two lights are connected by a common earth (the Alternator) You can confirm that the wiring is not at fault by disconnecting the small single wire on the back of the alternator then starting up the engine, the lights should now not come on. if so the Alternator is at fault. if the lights still stay on then the wiring or Instrument Cluster are at fault.
#ichoosefreda
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:44 am

Hi all, Charge and sediment light CONSTANTLY on for last week on V6. Driven 20 miles or so. Alternator belt has nearly an inch of play in it. Shall I just replace belt or are the warning lights telling me more? Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:19 am

You are NOT charging your battery when the Charge light is on, either the belt is slipping and needs tensioning or replacing alltogether as it has stretched.
Eh you say a V6 ? a V6 doesn't have a sediment light only diesels have a sediment light ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:44 am

It's the charge and heat light for the cat warning lights. They come on immediately with ignition.
Can you recommend anyone in Worthing for the job? I'm in Hove.
I can also hear a clicking noise when seat is up. Would you hear a knackered alternator? It's 20 years old and 120,000 miles.
Thanks for your help again!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:28 pm

Ah the HEAT light indicates Catalyst exhaust problems.
Yes a loose belt on the alternator could cause a clicking sound as could a damaged alternator.
I use;
A&J Motors
Address: Broadwater St East, Worthing BN14 9AD, United Kingdom
Phone: +44 1903 201484
They know the V6 engine, mention your a member of BF as well and they will check with you where to get spares from as well- I've been training them ;-)
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks I will give them a call. I will buy the new belt first. I suppose it is best to see if this solves the problem before buying a new alternator.

The heat warning light is no longer connected to the cat as original cat replaced a year ago. I should think it is to do with the charging issue???

Thanks again.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Does the v6 not have twin alternator belts like the diesel?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:22 pm

The Alternator is on the drivers side low down, and as far as I'm aware only a single belt.
As this picture confirms;
Also they type of belt has changed over the years, as when I had my alternator replaced they couldn't get the right pulley style so ended up refurbishing the old one.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Cheers Geoff. My education continues!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:26 pm

No, it's a single belt, readily available, for the earlier versions it's a Gates Belt 6PK1400, 1.4 m long by 2 cm wide.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.

Return to “Techie Stuff”