cruise control

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

brianwfl

cruise control

Post by brianwfl » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:20 pm

Hi mrs d

enter howard mays cruise cotrol in the internet search, for all info on non vacuum cruise control. its a doddle to fit diy or steve jones can fit for you at your premises.
brgds brianwfl
BarryS

Post by BarryS » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:57 pm

ferdyb

Post by ferdyb » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:01 pm

Can I just query the fitting of a speed sensor circuit to the engine of a vehicle with auto transmission? Surely, until the lock-up occurs, all the other gears are only loosely related to the actual road speed via the torque converter? So the engine is never going to be a reliable indicator of road speed.
Come to think of it, even with a manual gearbox, the engine is only in direct, one to one contact with the propshaft, and hence road speed, in fourth gear as well.

ferdy
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:17 pm

Doesnt the speed sensor connect to a pickup on the prop shaft, which is a constant with the road speed?

Dont know much about it but I think that is where it gets the speed info.

Dave
ferdyb

Post by ferdyb » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:09 pm

Yes Dave, I agree with that, it's just that AliBongo in a post on the first page mentioned taking a feed off the coil, which would only give engine speed, which may or may not be related to road speed, especially with an auto box, I would have thought.
I admit I don't know much about it either, it all sounds far too dangerous and likely to send me off to sleep.

ferdy
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:43 pm

I guess the most obvious place to take a speed reading would be from the electronic speedo pulse........................ :?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:44 pm

I agree with Dandy - I am planning to use the speedo sensor feed, just before the km-mph convertor. Feeds from the coil are only used for rev counters & therefore are engine speed, not road speed. Most Bongos are diesel, so no coil anyway.
AliBongo

Post by AliBongo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:12 pm

I got my vaccum from a pipe at the front of the engine just to the offside of the water pump. On my 1996 Bongo there is a metal pipe going straight up in front of the engine with a ready made vacuum take off with a blanking pug on it. If you shine a torch in from the passenger side you should see it.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:46 pm

Thanks AliBongo - I'll have a look for said pipe when I get home.

Return to “Techie Stuff”