Fuel Starvation after a steady run.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoMacs

Fuel Starvation after a steady run.

Post by BongoMacs » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi i have a fuel problem that has been ongoing for some time on my 1995 Diesel 2WD. The Bongo starts up and drives perfectly, but if i have been driving at a steady speed and come to a round about or junction etc, the bongo coughs and splutters and will not get above 2000 revs.

Then it had to be towed to the garage.When in the garage it had the fuel filter including bango filter,fuel lines and tank cleaned and a suspect fuel gauge replaced.

When i had the Bongo back the fault was still there, and after another tow back to the garage a replacement pump was fitted.

My Bongo again broke down again today with the same fault, but i managed to limp back home.

Please could you shed any light on this problem, as this is the first problem i have had in 3 years of driving him.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: Fuel Starvation after a steady run.

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:06 pm

Try runnning it without the fuel cap on, the NR type arrangement in there may be gunged up.
Worth checking for leaks around the fuel pump, replacement may have the same issues, unlikely though.
I take it it's not a garage that's not used to bongos, or they'd have fixed the fuel gauge issue by sorting the earth out rather than replacing it - http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=33920
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
BongoMacs

Post by BongoMacs » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Thank you i will try giving it a run with out the fuel cap.

The garage believed i was running on empty when it was showing 1/4 tank.

I need to feed back to the garage what the out come of the fuel pump being fitted was, as i have not been charged for it yet.
BongoMacs

Post by BongoMacs » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Thank you for the advice, i have driven my Bongo with out the fuel cap on and so far so good no stalling. :D

I will get a an emergency cap for now and give it another run.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:09 am

wash the cap out and dry it

should clear its bleed hole and let air in

Return to “Techie Stuff”