Need a Clock?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Barnet Al

Need a Clock?

Post by Barnet Al » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:45 pm

If the absence of a clock from your Bongo is causing distress this may be the answer. Search e-Bay for item ref. 4651299252.

It is a clock in an ISO sized cubby box that is the right size to fit the hole above a standard sized radio.

The guy is only selling one (£12.99 + P&P) but seems to have them on offer every 10 days or so and they come with the plug and abouit 9 inches of wire which mekes instalation a doddle.

I had one from him about a month ago and it fits fine. As its from a BMW you will have to use your skill and judjment and a Stanley knife to modify the 4 retaining lugs on the back but it is possible to get a good fit.

The 3 wires may well be long enough (mine were) to connect directly into the radio loom, you will need to sort ouit which goes where as I didn't take notes at the time. I believe the backlight is red but can't be sure as I haven't driven in the dark since fitting it.

I believe Mazda also use this on some models but tha last one I saw on e-Bay went for over £50 and I don't know if it had the plug and wires.

Hope this is usefull to someone.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:21 pm

Good tip and welcome Barnet...........I just got a similar one from a 3 series on evilbay last week and fitted it at the weekend.

They look just fine and dandy.......although finding a suitable wire for the light was a pain in the proverbial
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
pippin

Post by pippin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:15 pm

Trouble is, for the driver the clock really needs to be on the right hand side of the unit and thus closer.

I assume that because the dial face is totally symmetrical the whole unit could be fitted upside down so that the clock is closer to the driver?
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:23 pm

A better one is the MX5 Din Clock.
Fits better, wires easier and its prettier.

But I suppose ANYTHING is better than the crap halfords one I have stuck to me dash. Cant see it at night unless you scrabble about for the backlight button.

Note to others - Too late for me - Alpine stereo's dont always have a clock display option. If you bin the Mazda stereo, Make sure your new stereo can display time.
pippin

Post by pippin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:25 pm

My Sony one does, but the digits are too small for me to read easily!
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:30 pm

my stereo has a clock on it as well, but i have to press a button for it to come up :twisted: , so i just simply look at my watch on my wrist.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:51 pm

pippin wrote:Trouble is, for the driver the clock really needs to be on the right hand side of the unit and thus closer.

I assume that because the dial face is totally symmetrical the whole unit could be fitted upside down so that the clock is closer to the driver?
Doesn't work Bruce, tried it, but the parallax is ok.....it's only a timepiece
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Halliebongo

Clock

Post by Halliebongo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:31 pm

Hi

where do you get the MX5 din clock from ?

Thanks Mike
pippin

Post by pippin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:46 pm

Do a search on Ebay, there are a couple on there at the moment.
A bit pricey though.
Ozric

Post by Ozric » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:05 pm

Yep, search ebay for mx5 clock. A couple of nice ones when I looked, but not cheap.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:38 pm

Beemer ones are cheaper........mine was only 7 quid :o
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:48 am

I got one from Halfords and superglued it for £4.99, and it has a big read out.

PS Barnet Al - I presume you are from Barnet?? I used to live in New Barnet many years ago (Well for the first 32 years of my life until we moved to Poole in 1997) Hello by the way :D
Barnet Al

Post by Barnet Al » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:00 am

You did well then Dandy, did that include the cubybox? I notice some are selling the clock on its own.

I raised this initially as the fixed price seemed reasonable and the plug and wires are a definite bonus. The mazda one may fit without altering the fixing lugs (perhaps others can confirm) but I doubt you will get one anywhere near the price without slogging round the breaker's and haggling with the management.

Yes Nick 65 you are right, East Barnet actually so I know your old stamping ground well.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:29 pm

We also used to live in Cockfosters, and regularly went to the Cat and Lantern opposite the Chippy, plus the Duke (I think it was that) round the corner, plus The Builders Arms in New Barnet and I used to manage the Black Bull (Whetstone) in the 80's

Such memories - Anyway back to Clocks
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:10 pm

Barnet Al wrote:You did well then Dandy, did that include the cubybox? I notice some are selling the clock on its own.

I raised this initially as the fixed price seemed reasonable and the plug and wires are a definite bonus. The mazda one may fit without altering the fixing lugs (perhaps others can confirm) but I doubt you will get one anywhere near the price without slogging round the breaker's and haggling with the management.

Yes Nick 65 you are right, East Barnet actually so I know your old stamping ground well.
Yep, got the lot for that money, just clips in to the hole in the dash :)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar

Return to “Techie Stuff”