Top water hose

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Gary Appleby

Top water hose

Post by Gary Appleby » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:39 pm

Hello all you techy types

The top water hose has gone on my bongo, Going home from work (after a 12 hour night shift) I heard a pop from directly under me, saw a puff of smoke and some water leakage, pulled over the the hard shoulder, turned off engine and promptly awaited the arrival of the rescue people.

My question is, did I turn the engine off quick enough and is it easy to replace this pipe, I found the exact one i need on bongobits.

GJA

PS Click link below for image
http://www.9xdead.com/tophose.jpg
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:56 pm

sounds like you were quick to stop, When you replace the hose and fill up the coolant, make sure you bleed the system, you will find instructions on the site, good luck :wink:
Image Pete
Seeker

Post by Seeker » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:02 pm

It is easy to replace the pipe. It is more difficult to be sure that you have completely refilled the cooling system!
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:01 pm

If you follow the instructions carefully, you should have no problems, just do not rush :wink:
Image Pete
Bongo-Shaftsbury

Post by Bongo-Shaftsbury » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:56 pm

Mine went recently. Takes about three quarters of an hour to sort.

A set of locking pliers are handy for the spring-loaded pipe clips. You'll need to remove the plastic tray under the van too for better access to the bottom end of the pipe. I'd also recomend having the van on ramps at the front - gives you more access under there and apparently helps when you refill the system.

Remember to open the bleed pipe under the passsenger seat when you refill and keep checking the level for the next few days until it sorts itself out. Mine needed an extra litre after a couple of days.
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:42 pm

I replaced them horrible clips, with jubilee clips, more user friendly, you can use a small socket on the clips :lol:
Image Pete
Gary Appleby

Post by Gary Appleby » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:38 am

Thanks chaps, I'll be looking at doing it later today (part should be here by 10 am) I'm usually crap at this mechanical lark, so I may be back on here tonight asking for more help.

GJA
Gary Appleby

Post by Gary Appleby » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:46 pm

Right it was definitely a 2 man job, 1 to hold the tube and clip in place (at the right angle) the other on the floor tightening up the screw on the jubilee.

Currently experiencing wierd and wonderful water works, first time went out for a run down hill fine, up hill temp gauge went to the max, fan kicked in and settled, got back checked water level, only a small amount gone.

Topped up, left engine running for 15 minutes every now and again put foot on the accelator far a while, fan kicks in temp gauge does not move, looking good, will update later.

Temp gauge still not moving, but still loosing a small amount of water ! got Caerphilly mountain to go up soon !!!

GJA
andy caff

Post by andy caff » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:58 pm

my top hose arrived today, flushed system and fitted, cant take her for a run, while she was on the ramps i noticed CV boot split, tried universal kit (not so universal). Had to order one from bongo bits, yet to fit.I've run her on tick over till she warmed up, front and rear heaters working fine hope this ia a good sign cos two weeks in st austell commin upand dont want to arrive on back of low loader
Gary Appleby

Post by Gary Appleby » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:04 pm

With the heaters working, that is a good sign, I know :)
andy caff

Post by andy caff » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:22 pm

glad to hear that gary thanks, :D
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:41 pm

I agree about the heaters working, when our bongo had an airlock, heaters remained cold :roll:
Image Pete
andy caff

Post by andy caff » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:56 pm

hi pete, i've read many of your posts about coolant problems, and thank you for, if nothing else , making me very cautious when bleeding the system, just need to take her out now [its like waitin to visit the dentist.]
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:19 pm

Well if it has made you cautious that is not a bad thing, pure ignorance on the cooling system cost us 1 engine, so decided to learn all I could, mainly by trial and error. Hope my future posts may be less doom and gloom :roll:
Image Pete
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:21 pm

My other claim to fame on this site, is my red wine stained shirt at Stainforth meet, will never live that one down :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Image Pete

Return to “Techie Stuff”