New to the site and in need of some help.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

elpez2k

New to the site and in need of some help.

Post by elpez2k » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:53 pm

Hi all, on the verge of buying my first bongo and in need of some advice before I take the plunge. Ive had a look through previous posts but can't seem to find an answer.

We've got a 9 month old son and the Bongo I've been looking at has the Middle bench seat reversed and a rear camper conversion. My question being is it possible to fit a child seat to a reversed middle bench?

Also theres an original 5 inch mazda tv in the dashboard but it needs chipping is this easy to get done over here?
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:20 pm

Welcome to Bongoland!
Can't help with the baby seat I'm afraid, far to long in the tooth!
As far as the Tv goes. The general concensus is that you may as well chuck it in the bin. It will not work here.
mia

Post by mia » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:41 pm

Hi

As long as it has a fixed full belt i cant see a problem, why not take the car seat with you to the garage/dealer and have a go at fitting it.

The only problem i can see you may have is the way your baby will be facing???? try having a word at halfords they maybe able to advise??

Mia x
PAUL10121968

new to site and in need of help.

Post by PAUL10121968 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:35 am

hello.we have a mazda bongo,it.s not an auto free top but we can carry our four children who are 7,5,3,1.5.and all our camping gear in the back of the vehicle it,s great.want a tip from one parent to another get one of these and rent a caravan or chalet whenever you go away it,s a lot easier at least untill the little one gets older.paul :wink:
BeardyWeirdy

Post by BeardyWeirdy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:30 pm

If I remember correctly from previous posts about seatbelts, I don't think anyone's found a reliable way of fitting a three point seat belt to reversed middle seats.

This will probably mean you'll struggle to get a car seat to fit as most of them require a three point belt.

At nine months I'm guessing that your son's in a proper child seat rather than the carry handle type baby seats? If so, I think Britax do a seat model that can be fixed just using a lap belt, but from what I saw of our friends who did this in their VW, I wouldn't put either of my kids in one fixed this way.

I'd personally only consider having my kids facing forwards (even though theoretically rear facing is perhaps safer) for two reasons: firstly that's how the car seats have been designed to be used and so for confidence in their safety I'd want to stick to that, and secondly as they get older kids can be quite susceptible to car-sickness which is probably exacerbated by facing the wrong way.

Just my opinion though, I'm sure there are others who'd disagree.
elpez2k

Post by elpez2k » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:36 pm

Thanks for your help all, maybe you can clear up another issue for me. Is it legal to have a car seat fitted in the front passenger seat? I had mixed answers to this question during a chat in work today.

I feel this is my only other option as putting the seats back as they were would make this camper totaly impractical as the units fit right the way across the back and can't be removed. I'll be devestated if I can't have this van as its exactly what ive been looking for, and ive looked at so many now my head hurts!
mia

Post by mia » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:46 pm

I think a change in the law states no kids in the front under 14, but im not sure when it takes affect??

If its not law yet then as long as your bongo dosnt have a air bag then you can but should you be in a crash then your childs risk to injury increases massively compared to in the back.

Your child is much much safer in the back.

Sorry im not much help really...lol

Mia
Seeker

Post by Seeker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:47 pm

Hi I have a car seat which will face either way on the bench seats the diagonal belt goes through the back. I think it is a Graeco but I am unable to find the makers name on it.

I also believe that there is some legislation about children in the front seat, you could look on the web.
Seeker

Post by Seeker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:52 pm

Ho yes the TV I never use mine but I am told you set it up to work with a camcorder or digital camera by setting them to secam standard output I assume you set most dvds and videos to Secam now and play through your dash tv.

And I think I read that some was playing their Ipod through it.
elpez2k

Post by elpez2k » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:04 pm

just had a look on the net, seems i'm ok to put a child seat in the front if needs be. Thanks for your help seems i'll be joining the club after all!

"Cars - Children under 3 years old
If carried in the front seat, an appropriate child restraint MUST be used (the adult seat belt is not sufficient). Children under 3 years old may not travel in the front unless they are in a child restraint."

Return to “Techie Stuff”