Squeaks at the rear - Not the front as previously suspected!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stuey five toes

Squeaks at the rear - Not the front as previously suspected!

Post by stuey five toes » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:46 pm

over the past few weeks our bongo has developed a high pitch, squeal or scratching noise coming from the front of the van.

It seems to happen as the wheels are straightening after a corner, more so when i'm coming out of a left hand bend and it seems to be a perticular point when it occurs which made me think that it was the steering rack or something but when the van is parked and the wheels turned - no noise - so it only occurs when moving.

It also seems to occur occasionaly on rough surfaces???? :?

Wheel bearing or brakes maybe? - changing the front brake pads anyway but i'm interested in opinions, if anybody has one.

Ps. roof still blowing fuses :(
Last edited by stuey five toes on Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
2sticks
Bongolier

Squeeky noises.

Post by 2sticks » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:00 pm

I bought a Bongo about 4 years ago and after a couple of months
it developed very similar symptoms.

I suspected dry CV joints and as a temporary cure I injected some
engine oil through the gaiter with a hypo syringe, after 10 or 20
miles it almost disappeared.

Finally got local mech man to repack the CV joints and it hasn't
been any trouble since.

Maybe I was Lucky.....
alphabetter
Bongolier

Post by alphabetter » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:43 pm

Check carefully and see if your front discs are getting hot. My front brakes have been rubbing all the time which was what was causing my Bongo to squeal.
stuey five toes

Post by stuey five toes » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:53 am

It turns out it is not the front!!! :oops:

When you get out if the van and rock it, there is a squeak eminating from under the rear of the van some where - I suspect it is something to do with the suspenssion....

Thanks for the ideas so far - But in light of my mistaking my squeaks origin - got any new ideas?????
Bumbly1

Post by Bumbly1 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:09 am

stuey five toes wrote:It turns out it is not the front!!! :oops:

When you get out if the van and rock it, there is a squeak eminating from under the rear of the van some where - I suspect it is something to do with the suspenssion....

Thanks for the ideas so far - But in light of my mistaking my squeaks origin - got any new ideas?????
Yes, it could be the anti roll bar bushes and or the links, easily checked and replaced.

Tom
pippin

Post by pippin » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:27 pm

Well at least it's not a manifold stud!
stuey five toes

Post by stuey five toes » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:21 am

Wahhey!!!

Squeak and clunking turned out to be a broken anti role bar bracket - awaiting replacement.

Second, a quick unplug and plug of all the conectors on the cableling in the roof has cured the blown fuse - roof lifting thingy!

Cheers for the advice :D
Bumbly1

Post by Bumbly1 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:57 am

stuey five toes wrote:Wahhey!!!

Squeak and clunking turned out to be a broken anti role bar bracket - awaiting replacement.

Second, a quick unplug and plug of all the conectors on the cableling in the roof has cured the blown fuse - roof lifting thingy!

Cheers for the advice :D
Good news, easy fix :D

Tom

PS Support the axle on axle stands when fixing the bushes etc not on the jack as they should be tightened in the correct "rest" position.

Return to “Techie Stuff”