Big end/Injectors?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jonnybristol

Big end/Injectors?

Post by jonnybristol » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:42 am

The latest in a long line of car-related disasters for me. Going up a hill yesterday when there was a huge knocking sound and a loss of power. Car wouldn't start again, no warning lights or anything to suggest what it might be. Called recovery and mechanic arrived, car started but he said that it was the big end bearings. This morning I have called the garage and they have said that it may be an injector gone down, but he can't have a look til the end of the week. They did say that if it were the big end then I should consider scrapping it! Would anyone like to explain to me what the Injector problem might be and how I might salvage the biggest investment I have aside from my house?
moonshine

Post by moonshine » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:27 pm

With failed big-end bearings, the engine should run on all cylinders but there will be a loud metallic knocking noise on easing off the power.

If an injector is shot, the engine will be running roughly as it will not be firing properly on all cylinders. The loss of power does suggest an injector problem to me. Not too sure about the Bongo engine, but I usually check injectors by slackening off the main fuel pipe at each injector in turn until I find one which makes no difference to the engine's running. That's the faulty one.
Seeker

Post by Seeker » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:25 pm

If an injector has failed completely there is often a knocking noise as there is no pressure in the cylinder to dampen the movement of the piston.

As for scapping the Bongo if the engine is dead that is a matter of economics. Scrap Bongo cost ?0 or a small payment from a breaker and buy new Bongo ?4000.

Total cost ?4000 about.

Fit new engine to Bongo ?2000.

Total cost ?2000 about.

Rather depends on the value of your Bongo whether you should scrap it or not.

Get a fully fledged diesel expert to look at, find a commercial garage.
jonnybristol

Post by jonnybristol » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:47 am

Expert analysis from the local recommended garage says big end. So, it looks like I'm in the market for a new engine. Anyone got one hanging around?
Seeker

Post by Seeker » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:22 pm

At a guess BellHill Garage.

Return to “Techie Stuff”