4 wheel drive in brake rollers for mot

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

john and jue

4 wheel drive in brake rollers for mot

Post by john and jue » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:55 pm

can 4 wheel drive bongos be put in the brake rollers for an mot as they are 4wd all the time .my mot is due soon and it got me thinking. has anybody had an mot recentley and can tell me if they put it in the brake rollers :? :? :?
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:19 pm

NO you cannot put them on a 2 wheel dynamic brake tester. The brakes must be checked using a Tapley meter or similar.
moonshine

Post by moonshine » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:45 am

That's a very good point! I haven't had our Bongo for a year yet, so MOT testing hadn't even occurred to me. I suppose a Tapley meter would be the answer, but do all MOT stations still have them? I haven't seen one in years.
john and jue

Post by john and jue » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:47 am

thanks colin i did not think they could i remeber somone telling once that it can damage the transmission,best to check with members of this site as they seem to know these things.
Gingerbloke

Post by Gingerbloke » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:17 am

You would be suprised at the amount of 4WD cars that can't go onto the rollers. (Honda CR-V, Rav-4, Landrover Freelander.) so things are still definitely in place...
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:59 am

It's not only the transmission you will damage.
You will probably destroy the front of the Bongo and remove the wall of the garage test bay!. You will have two driven wheels on the tester and two on dry concrete. result....................... violent forward propulsion!!! :cry:
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:02 pm

It's not only the transmission you will damage.
You will probably destroy the front of the Bongo and remove the wall of the garage test bay!. You will have two driven wheels on the tester and two on dry concrete. result....................... violent forward propulsion!!! :cry:
Any 4WD franchise/M.O.T. workshop must have a Tapley. As previously said any 4WD car with permanent drive to all 4 wheels (those mentioned above +Discovery and Range Rover) will have the same problem. Quite a few franchised garages go out side for M.O.T. tests, so ring your local Landy Dealer and ask him who does his M.O.T.'s. Problem should be solved.
Dave c

Roller brake test

Post by Dave c » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:52 pm

You are right you have to use a tapley meter as with all 4WD cars and cars with limited slip diffs
pippin

Post by pippin » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:09 pm

Which is why I put a large sign "4WD" on the dash whenever I take the Bongo into a garage and especially for the MOT.
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:09 pm

Interestingly I took my first 2wd Bongo for an MOT at a station I have used for several 4wd. They said they still had to use the meter as there was no information on the computer for the Bongo to be tested on the rollers anyway.

Return to “Techie Stuff”