Radiator

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

xjr1300

Radiator

Post by xjr1300 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:24 am

Hi,
After what I thought was air con condensation,it is my radiator that is leaking. After a short run damp around the top and dripping underneath.
Can anyone recommend a supplier or type of replacement?
This is after a trouble free weeks holiday in the van but luckily only happened as we got home.
Thanks in advance,
Bill.
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:14 am

Sorry to hear that Bill. What you described sounded just like the aircon.

In the past I've had my radiators recored at a place on the Sheepbridge Trading Estate just off the A61 bypass near Chesterfield (Aircool or something, in the yellow pages anyway). They come back as good as new and cheaper than a new one. If they can source a 4WD Townace rad core then I would expect them to get one for a Bongo. However, you would need to remove and refit yourself but it looks a straightforward enough job.

Alternatively there are usually adverts for them on ebay.
xjr1300

Radiator

Post by xjr1300 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:51 pm

Hi,
Had a word with pal who looks after my bongo,gonna take it in Tuesday.
He,s contacted his supplier who can get a new rad.
So, hopefully, back on road next week.Just had a blast round Derbyshire on bike to cheer myself up.
Cheers Ian,
Bill
Harry
Supreme Being

Post by Harry » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:36 pm

Same problem...se threads on Curry etc...

Tried Radweld tonight and it seems to have cured the problem of seepage at the joint along the top of the radiator..

For a couple of quid it seems good value!

good luck

H
http://watcherswildlife.co.uk

Towing a shed with a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
Ozric

Post by Ozric » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:37 am

I got a rad off ebay and replaced it myself. It's an easy job because of the easy access. But follow the refilling instructions to the letter.
Gary Appleby

Post by Gary Appleby » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:34 pm

I was just charged ?215 for a re-conditioned radiator, but if you look on ebay there is a firm selling brand new radiators for ?124.

If I'd have saw the ad earlier I would have bought the ebay one.

GJA
Harry
Supreme Being

Post by Harry » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi all

Leaky radiator update

Tried Radweld on Saturday evening...stopped leak until yesterday when it started again worse than ever!

'Bought it now ' on ebay Bongo radiator ?135 inc postage ordered yesterday..arrived 10.00am this morning.

Read all the threads and tips on the site and started DIY replacement at 5.00pm

Done and dusted by 8.00pm followed by 1 hour of test runs..up hill ..down dale...slow...fast.. all ok exceppt for needing a new hose clip on the top hose. Everything normal (as it can be)...job completed by 9.00pm. Done entirely on my own with no ramps...just a 10mm socket & spanner and a screwdriver.

Thaks to all for your help and advice.

JUST ONE THING?????

tHERE IS A SMALL PIPE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RADIATOR...SEEMS TO GO IN AT ONE SIDE AND OUT THE OTHER..CONTAINS RED 'HYDRAULIC' TYPE FLUID.

I lost a bit of this during the rad change...what is it and is it crucial???

cheers

H
http://watcherswildlife.co.uk

Towing a shed with a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:35 am

I'm guessing it's linked to the gearbox for cooling the transmission fluid (had a similar setup in my old Townie). Just check the gearbox oil level and top up if necessary. You know the drill, engine hot, level ground, work the gears a bit before checking the dipstick level.

Return to “Techie Stuff”