where do I put the gear box oil?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

banga

where do I put the gear box oil?

Post by banga » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:19 pm

:lol: Yes I know I'm tempting witty answers with the above question, but I really am stuck, I've checked the gear box oil which appears a little low, but I can't quite see where to put more of the stuff, also can anyone recommend a particular one. I've checked archives and can find loads on engine oil and where to put it but very little on the gear box oil....thankyou !!!
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:32 am

Ok I won't say in the gearbox. (Oh b*gger I just did).

You have to pour it through the dipstick tube. Daft I know but there you are. If topping up then you can buy 1 litre bottles of Dexron III with a flexible tube on the cap. However, it's more economical to buy a 5 litre tin from your local factors because at some point you should be changing the lot.

Hook up a piece of tubing that will fit inside the dipstick tube (the kind of plastic tuning you would use to bleed the brakes) with a small funnel and slowly add the ATF. Incidentally, the correct way to read the level is with the vehicle level, with the engine hot and after changing the gears a few times.
banga

Thankyou!

Post by banga » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:42 pm

:lol: Thanks for the answer Ian, really appreciate it. My husband said I'd probably have to pour it through that tiny hole and I said nah...surely not.

Note to diary ...listen to husband more !

Thanks again for your help.
AliBongo

Post by AliBongo » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:32 am

Aren't you supposed to check the auto box fluid level with it in drive and the handbrake on?

Return to “Techie Stuff”