Parts No Longer Available

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Doone
Supreme Being

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by Doone » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Buying aircon O rings won't be a problem as they are widely available for aircon systems and the same sizes fit many vehicles.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:16 pm

I've previously got some O rings for the rear evaporator from a really good A/C chap who I think was in Nottingham. If you do source alternatives, make sure they are correctly rated for the refrigerant rather than the type you can buy from DIY shops which just aren't up to the job.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:38 am

mikeonb4c wrote:This is very useful info Ian and thanks++

I'm going to be interested in a replacement AFT roof rubber gasket/seal before long. It will be interesting to see if they are still available.

:roll:
Hi mike, I seem to remember you (Adrian) fitted a new seal a few years ago has it deteriorated already.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:11 pm

rita wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:This is very useful info Ian and thanks++

I'm going to be interested in a replacement AFT roof rubber gasket/seal before long. It will be interesting to see if they are still available.

:roll:
Hi mike, I seem to remember you (Adrian) fitted a new seal a few years ago has it deteriorated already.

I thought we were talking about aircon O rings? My AFT seal is in A1 perfect condition :-) Interestingly, there was a time when everyone thought these couldn't be got either :roll: [-X 8)
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon May 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Yes mike your correct, everybody was talking about Air Con seals/o rings it was your good self that mentioned AFT rubber/seal.

Quote.....

:lol: :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon May 02, 2016 4:49 pm

rita wrote:Yes mike your correct, everybody was talking about Air Con seals/o rings it was your good self that mentioned AFT rubber/seal.

Quote.....

:lol: :lol:
But that was in 2013? Not sure how that connects with this latest chat. Afraid ya got me there :shock:
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:33 am

Bad news! I tried to order some Fusable Links (for the glowplus) part number S10L67099 from Mazda and was told that they are no longer available. :cry:
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Ian wrote:Bad news! I tried to order some Fusable Links (for the glowplus) part number S10L67099 from Mazda and was told that they are no longer available. :cry:
Don't know if Geoff could comment, but is this one of those parts where there could be a workaround solution (like a bloody great piece of fuse wire or summat?

Meanwhile, thank heavens for Bongospares and be careful how you treat yours everybody :|
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:54 pm

I'm sure there probably is but I've never seen a specification for the fusible link other than "1.25sq".

If we assume that this is 1.25sq mm than that is equivalent to 16AWG or 17swg wire which is rated for 25 Amps continuous carrying capacity.
Now if we look up the common glowplug used NGK Y-701 the spec given is http://www.ngk.com.au/glow-plugs/techni ... plug-types
Which doesn't specifically say what the current drawn is but indicates that peak is about 18Amps (each) and it settles down to 8Amps (each) so we could be looking at around 32Amps.
So it would appear that we would be in the right ball-park for a fusible link to be rated at 25Amps meaning 16awg wire, these links are designed to blow VERY slowly taking several seconds to reach melting point - unlike normal fuses which are designed to heat up and melt in the order of 100's of milliseconds.

So I think I would look to use a 2-3" length of 16AWG or 17SWG copper wire (insulated, non-flammable) if making it myself. Possibly replacing the connector with a Yellow bullet type connectors which should have an adequate current rating, Blue coloured connectors would be a better size fit for the wire but I would be a little suspect of there current carrying capacity.

If anybody has details - dimensions of the existing connector it would be helpful, not having a diesel myself I can't go out and measure it!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:52 pm

Fantastic post (as usual) Geoff - almost worth a factsheet (albeit with a disclaimer!). It'd be useful to have sight of the standard item and its 'core' element. =D> =D> =D>
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:41 pm

g8dhe wrote:I'm sure there probably is but I've never seen a specification for the fusible link other than "1.25sq".

If we assume that this is 1.25sq mm than that is equivalent to 16AWG or 17swg wire which is rated for 25 Amps continuous carrying capacity.
Now if we look up the common glowplug used NGK Y-701 the spec given is http://www.ngk.com.au/glow-plugs/techni ... plug-types
Which doesn't specifically say what the current drawn is but indicates that peak is about 18Amps (each) and it settles down to 8Amps (each) so we could be looking at around 32Amps.
So it would appear that we would be in the right ball-park for a fusible link to be rated at 25Amps meaning 16awg wire, these links are designed to blow VERY slowly taking several seconds to reach melting point - unlike normal fuses which are designed to heat up and melt in the order of 100's of milliseconds.

So I think I would look to use a 2-3" length of 16AWG or 17SWG copper wire (insulated, non-flammable) if making it myself. Possibly replacing the connector with a Yellow bullet type connectors which should have an adequate current rating, Blue coloured connectors would be a better size fit for the wire but I would be a little suspect of there current carrying capacity.

If anybody has details - dimensions of the existing connector it would be helpful, not having a diesel myself I can't go out and measure it!
That is that sorted then,next. =D> =D>
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:54 am

mikeonb4c wrote:It'd be useful to have sight of the standard item and its 'core' element.
I've managed to track down a small stock of the fuseable links in Singapore. They are on the way and I will send one to Geoff for forensic examination.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:59 am

Ian wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:It'd be useful to have sight of the standard item and its 'core' element.
I've managed to track down a small stock of the fuseable links in Singapore. They are on the way and I will send one to Geoff for forensic examination.
Well done that Bongomeister: He of Great Vision and Pragmatism =D>
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:17 pm

Yup no problem, be nice if we can find a suitable matching plug for the end of the link then no need to change any existing bits.

If anyone can get a photo of the connector that the link plugs onto it would be helpful, I'm wondering if its a standard spade connector, if so then its just a question of what is the width of the blade;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:20 pm

Return to “Techie Stuff”