Parts No Longer Available

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

User avatar
Doone
Supreme Being
Posts: 2668
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:58 am
Location: Devon

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by Doone » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Buying aircon O rings won't be a problem as they are widely available for aircon systems and the same sizes fit many vehicles.
My Trading Standards Approved garage: http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk
User avatar
Simon Jones
Supreme Being
Posts: 9341
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Salisbury (ish), Wiltshire

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:16 pm

I've previously got some O rings for the rear evaporator from a really good A/C chap who I think was in Nottingham. If you do source alternatives, make sure they are correctly rated for the refrigerant rather than the type you can buy from DIY shops which just aren't up to the job.
rita
Supreme Being
Posts: 3219
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by rita » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:38 am

mikeonb4c wrote:This is very useful info Ian and thanks++

I'm going to be interested in a replacement AFT roof rubber gasket/seal before long. It will be interesting to see if they are still available.

:roll:
Hi mike, I seem to remember you (Adrian) fitted a new seal a few years ago has it deteriorated already.
User avatar
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Posts: 22810
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:11 pm

rita wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:This is very useful info Ian and thanks++

I'm going to be interested in a replacement AFT roof rubber gasket/seal before long. It will be interesting to see if they are still available.

:roll:
Hi mike, I seem to remember you (Adrian) fitted a new seal a few years ago has it deteriorated already.

I thought we were talking about aircon O rings? My AFT seal is in A1 perfect condition :-) Interestingly, there was a time when everyone thought these couldn't be got either :roll: [-X 8)
I Bongo, therefore I am...
Bongoing, BonGoing, BonGone
rita
Supreme Being
Posts: 3219
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by rita » Mon May 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Yes mike your correct, everybody was talking about Air Con seals/o rings it was your good self that mentioned AFT rubber/seal.

Quote.....

I'm going to be interested in a replacement AFT roof rubber gasket/seal before long. It will be interesting to see if they are still available.

:lol: :lol:
User avatar
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Posts: 22810
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon May 02, 2016 4:49 pm

rita wrote:Yes mike your correct, everybody was talking about Air Con seals/o rings it was your good self that mentioned AFT rubber/seal.

Quote.....

I'm going to be interested in a replacement AFT roof rubber gasket/seal before long. It will be interesting to see if they are still available.

:lol: :lol:
But that was in 2013? Not sure how that connects with this latest chat. Afraid ya got me there :shock:
I Bongo, therefore I am...
Bongoing, BonGoing, BonGone
Ian
Supreme Being
Posts: 5463
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:47 pm
Location: Bongo Mission Control

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by Ian » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:33 am

Bad news! I tried to order some Fusable Links (for the glowplus) part number S10L67099 from Mazda and was told that they are no longer available. :cry:
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
User avatar
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Posts: 22810
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Ian wrote:Bad news! I tried to order some Fusable Links (for the glowplus) part number S10L67099 from Mazda and was told that they are no longer available. :cry:
Don't know if Geoff could comment, but is this one of those parts where there could be a workaround solution (like a bloody great piece of fuse wire or summat?

Meanwhile, thank heavens for Bongospares and be careful how you treat yours everybody :|
I Bongo, therefore I am...
Bongoing, BonGoing, BonGone
User avatar
g8dhe
Supreme Being
Posts: 8793
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:06 pm
Location: Worthing, West Sussex.

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by g8dhe » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:54 pm

I'm sure there probably is but I've never seen a specification for the fusible link other than "1.25sq".

If we assume that this is 1.25sq mm than that is equivalent to 16AWG or 17swg wire which is rated for 25 Amps continuous carrying capacity.
Now if we look up the common glowplug used NGK Y-701 the spec given is http://www.ngk.com.au/glow-plugs/techni ... plug-types
Which doesn't specifically say what the current drawn is but indicates that peak is about 18Amps (each) and it settles down to 8Amps (each) so we could be looking at around 32Amps.
So it would appear that we would be in the right ball-park for a fusible link to be rated at 25Amps meaning 16awg wire, these links are designed to blow VERY slowly taking several seconds to reach melting point - unlike normal fuses which are designed to heat up and melt in the order of 100's of milliseconds.

So I think I would look to use a 2-3" length of 16AWG or 17SWG copper wire (insulated, non-flammable) if making it myself. Possibly replacing the connector with a Yellow bullet type connectors which should have an adequate current rating, Blue coloured connectors would be a better size fit for the wire but I would be a little suspect of there current carrying capacity.

If anybody has details - dimensions of the existing connector it would be helpful, not having a diesel myself I can't go out and measure it!
Geoff
97 V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
User avatar
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Posts: 22810
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:52 pm

Fantastic post (as usual) Geoff - almost worth a factsheet (albeit with a disclaimer!). It'd be useful to have sight of the standard item and its 'core' element. =D> =D> =D>
I Bongo, therefore I am...
Bongoing, BonGoing, BonGone
Bongolia
Supreme Being
Posts: 1513
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Folkestone

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by Bongolia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:41 pm

g8dhe wrote:I'm sure there probably is but I've never seen a specification for the fusible link other than "1.25sq".

If we assume that this is 1.25sq mm than that is equivalent to 16AWG or 17swg wire which is rated for 25 Amps continuous carrying capacity.
Now if we look up the common glowplug used NGK Y-701 the spec given is http://www.ngk.com.au/glow-plugs/techni ... plug-types
Which doesn't specifically say what the current drawn is but indicates that peak is about 18Amps (each) and it settles down to 8Amps (each) so we could be looking at around 32Amps.
So it would appear that we would be in the right ball-park for a fusible link to be rated at 25Amps meaning 16awg wire, these links are designed to blow VERY slowly taking several seconds to reach melting point - unlike normal fuses which are designed to heat up and melt in the order of 100's of milliseconds.

So I think I would look to use a 2-3" length of 16AWG or 17SWG copper wire (insulated, non-flammable) if making it myself. Possibly replacing the connector with a Yellow bullet type connectors which should have an adequate current rating, Blue coloured connectors would be a better size fit for the wire but I would be a little suspect of there current carrying capacity.

If anybody has details - dimensions of the existing connector it would be helpful, not having a diesel myself I can't go out and measure it!
That is that sorted then,next. =D> =D>
Ian
Supreme Being
Posts: 5463
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:47 pm
Location: Bongo Mission Control

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by Ian » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:54 am

mikeonb4c wrote:It'd be useful to have sight of the standard item and its 'core' element.
I've managed to track down a small stock of the fuseable links in Singapore. They are on the way and I will send one to Geoff for forensic examination.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
User avatar
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Posts: 22810
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:59 am

Ian wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:It'd be useful to have sight of the standard item and its 'core' element.
I've managed to track down a small stock of the fuseable links in Singapore. They are on the way and I will send one to Geoff for forensic examination.
Well done that Bongomeister: He of Great Vision and Pragmatism =D>
I Bongo, therefore I am...
Bongoing, BonGoing, BonGone
User avatar
g8dhe
Supreme Being
Posts: 8793
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:06 pm
Location: Worthing, West Sussex.

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by g8dhe » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:17 pm

Yup no problem, be nice if we can find a suitable matching plug for the end of the link then no need to change any existing bits.

If anyone can get a photo of the connector that the link plugs onto it would be helpful, I'm wondering if its a standard spade connector, if so then its just a question of what is the width of the blade;
Image
Geoff
97 V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
User avatar
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: AKA Vanessa

Re: Parts No Longer Available

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:20 pm