Whine between 80 and 100 kmh

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

YVANOVICZ

Whine between 80 and 100 kmh

Post by YVANOVICZ » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:54 pm

Hi,
! picked my bongo up from southampton on Friday and it drives lovely. The only thing I noticed was an annoying whine between 80 and 100 kmh. It goes when foot taken off throttle but as soon as it is replaced on the pedal it starts again. So I don't think it is rev-related as it doesn't happen at these revs at other speeds.
Any ideas, or is this normal?
pippin

Post by pippin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:15 pm

Manifold stud(s).
YVANOVICZ

Post by YVANOVICZ » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:25 pm

Thanks for the reply but what does this mean and why would the throttle affect it?
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:38 pm

if a stud(s) are broken you will get an hissing sound each time you rev the engine
Image Pete
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:39 pm

you put your foot down.........more exceleration...........more fuel ...........more exhaust fumes going through the manifold to the exhaust and out the back end!

if you have a leak (broken stud) the gas escapes and when you excelerate it comes out faster.

like holding 2 pieces of paper at each end and so they are flat on top of each other and you blow through them, the harder you blow the louder the noise gets.
pippin

Post by pippin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:40 pm

If you do a look-for on MANIFOLD STUDS you will find huge amounts of information on the problem, the signs and symptoms and on the remedies.
Last edited by pippin on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
carliol

Post by carliol » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:49 pm

You say the whine is not rev related so I dont understand previous comments about manifold studs etc. Seems to me that you may have a transmission whine of some sort associated with your van being run at 80/100 kph most of its life. Its impossible to diagnose a "noise" without hearing it personally so I suggest you take it to a garage. Personally I dont think it will be much to worry about.
pippin

Post by pippin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:52 pm

Carliol: I am fairly certain (without doing a s**rch) that the symptoms have been reported as very confusing and not always obviously related to revs.

Return to “Techie Stuff”