Adding front passenger airbag

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Nashers

Adding front passenger airbag

Post by Nashers » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:01 pm

Anyone heard of above being done, please? Our m/c is 1996 and has bag only for driver. Pse forgive if this looks like a daft question.
Thanks
pippin

Post by pippin » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:07 pm

My father used to say:
The importance of any question lies in the consequences of getting the answer wrong!

So, I am not sure of this, but I would doubt very much whether it would be a practical proposition. I think that a second airbag was never an option on the early Bongo. That makes it unlikely that the wiring loom would accommodate a second airbag.
It is not the sort of thing with which one would want to faff about.
Nashers

Airbag X 2 ?

Post by Nashers » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:19 pm

I agree with you Pippin. However, the 'what-if' question might yet produce a positive answer. The fact is, I'm feeling uncomfortable that I have - on the face of it - more protection than my wife, the chief navigator.
I feel there is still potential for one or two categorical answers, rather than guesswork but I'm certainly not criticising the first answer! Regards and thanks.
pippin

Post by pippin » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:32 pm

We bought a '99 facelift Bongo, at a huge price, mainly because they are fitted with 2 airbags as standard.

Somebody somewhere will have an answer for you.
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:35 am

In a vehicle such as the Bongo with the dashboard far away (and low) from the passenger it is not so important to have a passenger a/bag. The chances are that if you had a crash sufficient to make a belted passenger make contact with the dashboard it would be so severe that the whole front of the Bongo would disappear.
The reason for the driver air bag is that the driver only has a small clearance twixt his/her face/sternum and the steering wheel.
In a 'normal' car with dashboard close to passenger it is much more important to be 'bag protected'.
Nashers

Bags-eye

Post by Nashers » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:54 pm

Brilliant reply, Colin!
Thanx everyone

Return to “Techie Stuff”