Headlamps..again

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

briwy
Supreme Being

Re: Headlamps..again

Post by briwy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:08 pm

One of the problems with using fog lights all the time is that they are designed to illuminate the area directly in front of the vehicle. This causes the eyes to be drawn naturally to that area meaning that you aren't looking further ahead for any problems.
My other moan is that hardly anyone seem to use a handbrake when stationary, all sitting there blinding drivers behind with brake lights.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:32 pm

briwy wrote:My other moan is that hardly anyone seem to use a handbrake when stationary, all sitting there blinding drivers behind with brake lights.
That's a pet hate of mine as well :twisted: - just console yourself that they are knackering their disks and pads quicker :lol: :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
maxi_77
Bongolier

Post by maxi_77 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:37 pm

This is the Astra headlamp thread the key post is in fact the last one.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 15#p525083

Interestingly I will shortly be converting back to rhd as we are coming back to the UK
White diesel Bongo
loneranger
Bongolier

Post by loneranger » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Hello Brian,yes brake lights are one of pet hates as well,I wonder what they think that thing between the seats is for.As an advanced driver you would fail the test at the first set of traffic lights.As a driver who has passed lots of different classes of driving tests in my 54 year driving career,I despair at the standard of driving in this country.They say that the test is harder now than at another time in the history of motoring?.Cheers Michael
Red & Blue Advanced Driver "Bongoin in the Peak" or "Aye Up My Duck" Land
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Looks like Astra lights may be the way to go..just got to find some :D

Derek
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Plenty of second hand mk3 Astra headlights on eBay like this for £12:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-ASTR ... 20ce3f47c5

Whether a 20 year old Astra head lamp is going to be any brighter than a Mazda one is anyones guess. New ones would at least have decent reflectors and chip/scratch free lenses. I used to find the best bulbs were the Osram ones that come up at Lidl every few months. They always gave a nice clean white light and were only about £5 for a pair.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:34 pm

These people have loads of lamps,just check the dimentions with them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190658909569? ... 1423.l2649
maxi_77
Bongolier

Post by maxi_77 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Plenty of second hand mk3 Astra headlights on eBay like this for £12:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-ASTR ... 20ce3f47c5

Whether a 20 year old Astra head lamp is going to be any brighter than a Mazda one is anyones guess. New ones would at least have decent reflectors and chip/scratch free lenses. I used to find the best bulbs were the Osram ones that come up at Lidl every few months. They always gave a nice clean white light and were only about £5 for a pair.
My brand new ones cost not that much more here in Portugal and I understand they are cheaper in the UK, also make sure it is the correct vintage Astra
White diesel Bongo
the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Post by the janner vanner » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Some years ago there was a look at BMW lights and front end. Really looks great in thepix. Go into search and enter "Bongo wuth BMW headlights"

The Janner Vanner
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:22 am

Hi
The one problem with Astra lights is that they are glass lenses, and stone-chips will crack them, whereas the Bongo lights may survive. The Astra lights have replaceable lenses which just clip on with spring clips, but it's unlikely that you will get them separately . The whole units aren't expensive , but most suppliers charge way over the odds, ans second hand, I can assure you that they are inferior to the worst Bongo headlights. As stated in other posts, Xerapol works a treat...so does a good polishing with Solvol Autosol...I've rescued a duff rear light by filling with red resin in a crack, flatting with wet'n'dry, getting progressively finer, and finishing with Solvol. The kit I have with the 4 headlights works well, and probably a bit better than the original Bongo lamps, as the dip stays on with the main, and you can fit the original grille over the lamp, if you cut a bit off the back, but I re-shaped my grille. I still have spots for night work over here, as EU recommendations say it's a dangerous country to drive at night...so my spots are high-output, to use for daylight vision...They work! If you want to fit Astra lamps, I can give you a write-up with piccies using the original Mazda mountings.
http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 44&t=58480
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:01 am

Bongo wuth BMW headlights

change to with

gets you this

http://www.geocities.jp/largo2400sx_g/3kyoudai.html

but ive no idea whay the writing says
lancyman
Bongolier

Post by lancyman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:13 am

The bongos in the photos look great. Anyone know which BMW
grills fit a bongo then? Like the way they look.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:13 am

Hi
The grille on the BMW headlight Bongo is totally home made apart from the 2 inserts...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Techie Stuff”