Front fog light switch problem.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

chris-m
Bongonaut

Front fog light switch problem.

Post by chris-m » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:58 pm

Hi ? I could use some fog light advice.
I found that Ring rectangular fog lights fit the recess in the bumper pretty much perfectly. I just had to make a couple of simple w shaped brackets to attach them to the bumper screw mouldings. Not bad for ?13.90 for the pair I think, from my local car accessory shop.
The problem I have is that at some point in the van?s life someone has chopped through the wiring that goes to the existing front fog switch on the dash, and reused some of it for a rear fog light rocker switch.
There are 2 wires that have been separately insulated and are unused, one is red and the other red with a black tracer. Could someone advise me are these the wires to drive the front fog relay? I assume that the other wires were to power the front fog light switch illumination, which has been reused for the rear fog light switch. These are one black wire and another red wire with a black tracer. Hope this makes sense to someone.
Also where does the front fog light wiring appear in the engine bay? I found a 2 pin connector just in front of the left hand battery tray that looks a likely bet. I will check this out when I?ve got the switch working.
Thanks.
All Black 1997 Ford Freda 2.5 diesel
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:43 pm

Hi do you have the product code number for the Ring front lamps? - and a Pic of them fitted?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:01 pm

Can't help with the switch, but if you have a look up under the bumper, from the wheelarch, you should see the wires & plug somewhere under the headlights
chris-m
Bongonaut

Post by chris-m » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:58 pm

Fog lights are Roadrunner RL023
Picture here http://www.motormania.co.uk/product_det ... Ring&Code=

I checked under the headlights and infact all inside the bumper and found nothing. Where exactly should the wiring be? I am wondering if these have been chopped off as well!

I have ordered the wiring CD to see if I can sort it.
Thanks again.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:18 pm

Neat lamps :) . Thanks for the info Hope Ian takes note of this for the 'members' section .
I noticed that some poor soul paid EBAY ?80 for a pair of Bongo lamps from a breaker last month.
Checked on the 'Ring' website and they also do a pair of Roadrunner halogen driving lamps at the same price The code is RL 022
Hope you get usefull advice on the wiring problem - electrics are not my strength
Last edited by vanvliet on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris-m
Bongonaut

Post by chris-m » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:48 pm

Incredibly, according to the box they are made in England!
Think I'll get myself a spare set incase a stone goes through one, they are certainly cheap enough.
Just got to sort out the wiring now....
goose

Post by goose » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:03 pm

Have also got myself a set of front fogs which look good but cannot find any wiring! I see there seems to be a fuse for it under the bonnet. I have also found a disconnected plug under the bonnet which goes into the loom but nothing is connected to it? Will be watching this link in anticipation!
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:35 pm

Hmm I saw those but thought they were too tight a fight for the opening. I've used a pair of lamps from a Megane. Not too bad a fit. No sign of wiring connectors on mine so I had to run my own cable to a switch and put an in-line fuse in it.
chris-m
Bongonaut

Post by chris-m » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:12 pm

Here are a couple of photos of the install

Can anyone advise how long the CD wiring diagram delivery time will be?
Thanks.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:52 pm

Chris, your CD was despatched this afternoon (2nd class post). So I reckon you'll get it Friday at the latest.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
chris-m
Bongonaut

Post by chris-m » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:33 pm

Thanks for the info Ian.
Hopefully I'll get them working over the weekend.
Mark & Shelly

Post by Mark & Shelly » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:15 pm

I am playing with a foglight install at the moment as well.
Regarding the two pin connector in front of the battery tray, the red & black trace wire goes live when you put a fuse in the 'Fog' socket of the main under bonnet fuse box so must be the power supply for a relay. the other 'red' wire seems to be a feed from the fog switch wiring.

BTW , I have also found my rear fog is tapped into the switch illumination wiring- not convinced this is a good idea or up to the job esp. as it goes back to the sidelight fuse, I might be wrong but I'm converting it to a relay as well.
chris-m
Bongonaut

Post by chris-m » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:04 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply, glad to know that I am not suffering alone.
Just going through the wiring CD at the moment, it arrived today thanks Ian.
There is a detailed wiring diagram on the CD for the front fog lights and i'm just trying to work my way through it. The wire colours are shown in english, and my assumption regarding the switch seems correct. It also shows the wiring loom, and indeed the fog light connectors should be under the headlights - but they are not there on mine! The fog light relay should be across on the right hand side of the engine bay, but it's too dark to check now.
I will post again when I have sorted it.
chris-m
Bongonaut

Post by chris-m » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:29 pm

For those that are interested, my front fogs are working now, I would have replied sonner but just had an unexpected stay in Hospital.

I went over every square inch of the engine bay, and could not find any trace of existing fog lamp wiring or relay. I can only assume that the circuit diagrams show the highest level of equipment that is possible, and my humble van isn?t in this category.

So I fitted my own relay in the engine bay, and fog lamp wiring.
I routed the right fog lamp wiring across the existing loom at the top of the radiator and down to the lamp. If you take the air intake cowl assembly off (2 fixings) it makes access much easier.

I then routed a new wire (to drive the relay coil) through from the fog lamp switch to the relay. The feed to the fog switch is the existing red/black wire which goes live with the lighting circuit.

I used the red/blue wire at the unused connector in front of the left battery tray. This is fed directly from the Fog 15A fuse. Spent most of a day doing this, but at least it?s all working now.

As a foot note - I could not make sense of the existing red wire which goes to the fog lamp switch and apparently is the 2nd wire at the unused connector. According to the diagram it goes into, and out of the ECU. The existing red wire did not go live under any circumstances no matter what I tried, lights / ignition combination?
Mark & Shelly

Post by Mark & Shelly » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:38 pm

Hi Chris, I've also got our fog lights working now but I won't go into details as you have already described a carbon copy of my own method
(even if you did it first??).
But I also wasted half a day trying to get the switch to work on that pesky red wire. A red wire def. leaves the switch block, and a red wire certainly appears in the connector in front of the battery - it should be something to do with the fogs ,it's in the same connector as the live supply from the fuse box. But I also couldn't get any tie up between the two, no secondary relay via dipped headlights, nothing. Finally decided it must be an unlikely broken wire, but your experience shows it is something more devious than that.
Does anybody know the answer to this riddle? I was just happy that my fogs work, but now it's doing my head in again :x

Return to “Techie Stuff”