Tyres/Diff problems

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

grumpo

Post by grumpo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:46 am

:!:

Managed to crawl underneath and take a picture.

There VC is the old type transfer box.
The VC is connected to the gearbox via a chain drive.

:idea:
motorwizard

Viscous Coupling

Post by motorwizard » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:56 pm

When I bought my freda last year there was a similar discussion. To see if there was a vc or third diff I jacked up one front wheel and with a wheel brace on a wheel stud I was able to slowly turn the wheel. I presumed from this that there was a vc and when I turned the wheel the propshaft was turning because of the vc. In deep snow jan 06 the van stopped with one front wheel spinning. I believe that the vc is driven by a chain in the transfer box which is bolted to the back of the gear box.
maddy06

Post by maddy06 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:33 pm

I posted a while back under "urgent help for virgin bongo boy".My Bongo has finally been returned to me this week,but the guy at the garage still isn't sure what the problem is.Trial and error seems the call of the day.I went to my local tyre place today as the rear tyres 215/65/15 were badly worn,the front ones still looking brand new.The guy tells me i have the wrong tyres on the front 195/65/15 and not 195/70/15 as specified.Could this really be the cause of the diff problems i have had.Surely the respected Bongo friendly garage i went to would have spotted this and advised??? :?
Terry0clare

Tyres/front diff problems

Post by Terry0clare » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Well, two front diff rebuilds and two complete replacement diffs (yes, the mechanic really was that crap) and after threatening the dealer with legal action, I finally got me bongo back. Thank goodness I used my Barclay card to buy it. Viscous coupling was OK in the end and, with the RIGHT tyres, it?s sweet as a nut and less scary at speed. It?s taken six weeks in all.
Thanks again Grumps (I now know what a VC looks like and have a vague idea how transmission works)

Return to “Techie Stuff”