So what is normal noise on a Bongo?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stuart_indalo
Bongonaut

So what is normal noise on a Bongo?

Post by stuart_indalo » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I bought my Bongo from ebay the other week and am now diagnosing a few faults. Sterring rack weeps but thanks to the fact sheet that is straightforward. Cam belt has been done (I think!) and new tyres of the correct size have been fitted. It is a 4wd and although i have had range rovers for 11 years I know very little about bongos.

When I set off down the road the loudest noise is engine (hardly surprising seeing I'm sitting on it) then exhaust with tyre/road noise third. I do get though transmissin noise of some kind like a woo woo woo kind of sound, not deafening but audible. At speeds of 70 or so the whole orchestra is quite boomy. On accleration there is also turbo noise with a metallic hint.

I dont expect a whisper from the engine but does anyone recognise the above sounds and is this normal? Or can anyone else try and describe their bongo sound?

Thanks,

Stuart
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:25 pm

Do a search for "exhaust maniflod" Stuart........sounds like you've got a sheared/missing stud............

Oh.....and - welcome :)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
shutty747

turbo noise

Post by shutty747 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:30 am

Also, just how noisy should the turbo be? I can hear it quite clearly kicking in on acceleration, and is still audible at motorway speeds. I reckon that's OK, but if my turbo is noisier than everyone else's, I want to know!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:00 am

The turbo noise on mine is hardly noticable - it's more of a "whoosh" than the usual high pitched whistle that you normally get with a turbo.
stuart_indalo
Bongonaut

Post by stuart_indalo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions,

I have to say that since I added the injector cleaner to the fuel tank it sounds better or am I just getting used to it :D

Turbo noise is major and yes mine is more of a rush than a high pitched whine. there are two other Bonogs that I have seen in town so I might persuade someone to let me listen o theirs.

I'll explore the exhaust theory as well.
ferdyb

Post by ferdyb » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:47 pm

We're in Hockley, near Southend. Never heard a peep - or a whooosh - or anything from the turbo. it seems to be completely inaudible. Perhaps it's not going round?
Yes the engine is noisy at slow speeds , especially with the window open, but pretty quiet at 70mph I would say.
Can't hear any exhaust either really.

ferdy

Return to “Techie Stuff”