Is this leak normal?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

abernethybongo
Junior Bongonaut

Is this leak normal?

Post by abernethybongo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi folks,
I've had a bongo for around 6 months now - it came with a pile of issues when we got it and one of the things I noticed was a damp patch on the engine block. We took it to Dairsie Autopoint to get a number of things sorted and one of the things they said it needed was a new inlet manifold, so we got them to do that. In my possible ignorance I'd assumed that had been the cause of this damp area, and I don't recall it being damp directly after they did this work. However I've just lifted the passenger seat to check oil levels and noticed it's wet again (circled in red in this picture - the two bolts I've circled seem especially wet, I think with oil rather than water but not 100% sure).

Sorry for the daft questions, but - is the area I've circled the inlet manifold, or if not what is it? And is this kind of leak normal, or something I should worry about? We're off on a long trip around the Western Isles starting on Saturday so I'm keen to sort out any problems before they ruin our holiday!

Many thanks,
Jamie
1997 white and silver unconverted 4WD WL-T AFT
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Is this leak normal?

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:39 pm

The exhaust manifold is under the tin plate below. The rocker cover is the domed bit on top and the rocker cover gasket seals between the rocker cover and the head. New gaskets are about £10, and do compress over time and weeping oil is not uncommon. You can try nipping up each of the bolts on the rocker cover, but don't overdo it - 10Nm max, which is not a lot. Just snug the.

It should just be engine oil in there. Are you losing much? Shouldn't be anything to worry about, IMO.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:30 pm

New gasket is £19.99 from club shop. Unfortunate timing as I just sold a brand new set last week for about half that:

The seals around the bolts have a steel tube in the middle which limits how much you can tighten them. It is possible to grind a bit off these, but it's only really just a way of delaying the replacement for a while.
abernethybongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by abernethybongo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks guys, that's very helpful - it isn't losing much oil as far as I can tell (none on the driveway and the oil level is fine according to the dipstick) so I'll try gently tightening the two offending bolts as suggested and keep an eye on it.

Many thanks,
Jamie
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:55 pm

Not heard too many good reports about Dairsie garage, try campers Scotland at Grangemouth if you have any further issues.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:59 am

Looks like it could be coming from the Breather pipe/stub, before you start shelling out for parts get it checked out by a Mechanic. Did they fit a New inlet manifold or just De Gunge the old one?
abernethybongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by abernethybongo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:04 pm

I was told they fitted a new one.

I did wonder if it might be coming from the pipe at the top as there is a slight oil slick down from there, but it the two rocker cover bolts are definitely damp around the edges so I suspect they are the source. I tried tightening them but they didn't want to budge, and I didn't want to break them, so I've just left them as is. I'll keep an eye on it and get the mechanic to look it over next time it's in for a service.

Cheers,
Jamie

Return to “Techie Stuff”