turbo trouble

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

turbo trouble

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:14 pm

hello,
long story shortened, turbo water seals gone on the water jacket around the main bearing.
With the water pipes disconnected the smoke and coolant loss has gone, however what are the long and short term consequences of running the turbo without the additional water cooling. can i expect the high pressure bearing to fail dramatically sending bits of turbo into the engine or will it run ok for a while.
the turbo is an ihi vj24 rhf5.
Any help on this please. Companies ive rung around dont deal with this model but it seems a shame to throw it away because of a rubber seal.
plus a new one is about 800 quid, secondhand is over 200 and no guarentee that the same problem will happen on a replacement.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:21 pm

It would be worth checking to see if theres dimension numbers on the seal - seals tend to be of universal sizes, made by seal manufactures for manufacturers components. The 3 sets of numbers denote the outside diameter, inside diameter and width.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:39 pm

cheers havnt stripped it down completely yet but when i do i will have a look
lez

Post by lez » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:52 am

dandywarhol wrote:seals tend to be of universal sizes,.
Been telling him this for a week now!

Mike rip the damn thing off!

I'll help its not like I have a job anymore to go to!

I had a lucas diesel pump fail (never buy a diesel with a lucas pump) cost me 300 quid to get it rebuilt with new seals, then one of the new ones went pop in 10 minutes, took it back, the 'fitter' slammed it back in with a hammer!

It was like a banana, I nearly cried on the way home, even after he said ''oh it will be fine I do them all that way''

I phoned a friend, he ripped it out, dragged me to a back street place and we bought a new seal for a fiver(!) which I then fitted with a suitable sized socket as a drift, pump back on and working.(not a bongo though, but a pumps a pump, and a turbo is a turbo, if it walks like a duck......)(its the wife)

Return to “Techie Stuff”