Roof Rack/Box/Rails

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Glynanderson

Roof Rack/Box/Rails

Post by Glynanderson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:55 pm

Hi,
I've lookaed at a few options for mounting a roof box.
Does anyone know if it's possible to mount Thule Aero bars.
Also, does anyone have a close up photo of the Thule 960 2126 combination?
Lastly, does anyone know if it's possible to mount roof rails (from a scrapped estate car, for example) to the freetop? Iguess the roof must be strengthened where the existing mounting holes are, but I don't know if it's possible to drill holes in another place to allow the mounting of roof rails.
Looking forward to your responses,
Cheers (again)
Glyn
Athers

Post by Athers » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:41 pm

There are some purpose built bars available for the Bongo. Details are availble in the Shop (although Ian does not sell them). They are also available on Ebay on occassion

One of the main problems is the mounting holes aren't very deep..... there are horror stories of people putting too long a bolt in and going straight through!
Glynanderson

Post by Glynanderson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:32 pm

Hi Athers,
Thanks for the info.
I've had a look at the bars you mentioned and they seem OK although a bit on the 'robust' side.
Since asking this question I've had a look under the roof where the factory holes are.
There is a fairly hefty alumimium profile running the whole length of the roof.
My plan is to try and get some rails from a scrapyard that would fit in the long indentations on the roof.
Then fasten the rails from underneath going through the aluminium profule that the lifting gera runs in.
This way there will only be bolt heads protruding downwards and as there are already some there, I guess there is enough clearance for a few more.
One problem may be finding roof rails from a car that doesn't have a curved roof.
Maybe an older Volvo or something.
Well, that's the plan, can anyone point out obvious or less obvious pitfalls that I haven't thought of?
Cheers!!!
Athers

Post by Athers » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:50 pm

Sounds good Glyn............you won't be the first to try an alternative sollution.

Keep us posted as all 'Bright Ideas' will doubtless be a help to others!!!

Return to “Techie Stuff”