Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Scavenger fan not working

Post by Gasy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:21 pm

Mines stays on after ignition goes off as well
Handy after a long run
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:50 pm

Tested mine by putting a hair dryer onto the sensor by the handbrake and ran the engine ... fan comes on. It stays on when key is removed from ignition. Happier now I know it works.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:13 pm

from another thread
just to connect and round off issues and add to knowledge about scav fan

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 07#p656836
Windy Watson
I have fitted a switch across the engine bay temprature sensor so that I can over ride it and force the scavanger fan to run if I want to cool the engine bay down on a hot day. I did this as in very hot weather the cab can be quite warm just after parking up when the residule heat from the engine rises (possibly worse on V6 petrol) and it is often very warm in the van on your return. When this switch is used to over ride the scavenger sensor it makes the charge light flash, so I can confirm that the charge light is used to indicate faults.
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:57 pm

I've never seen this scavenger fan come on in the three years I've had my van.
Was just having a look at the sensor earlier and the wires into the connector on the top have been modified.
I'll have to investigate further tomorrow and try and figure out what has been done, I'd like to be able to manually control the scavenger fan.
Hate those warm days where you park up for 10 minutes and when you switch it back on you've to listen to the temperature alarm going off until you get some air in there #-o
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:28 am

The scavenger fan will only operate to clear hot air from the engine compartment, it doesn't handle the coolant system. It normally only comes on when the vehicle is static in a queue and there isn't any forward motion to move the air thru the compartment, you are unlikely to have the seats up to see it come on !
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:47 pm

Ok, that makes sense. The sensor for it is measuring the air temperature over the engine rather the engine temperature itself.
I've only ever seen the engine temp go up to maybe 103°, and thats very rare and only when it's parked on a hot day

Return to “Techie Stuff”