Fitting Cruise Control - First thoughts

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Fitting Cruise Control - First thoughts

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Yep, there's a metal pipe that runs top to bottom at the front of the engine by the cambelt cover. There's a rubber cap which can be pulled/cut off to reveal a small tube which the rubber vac hose fits on to.

The rubber cap is part 13-104J on http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 1of02.html
psquiddy
Bongolier

Post by psquiddy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:30 pm

Does one of these standard Waeco WS50 kits fit a 2.0 petrol?

Would an LPG conversion make a difference?

Is it easy to fit?

Reliable?

Anything else to consider before buying one?
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:48 pm

psquiddy wrote:Does one of these standard Waeco WS50 kits fit a 2.0 petrol?

Would an LPG conversion make a difference?

Is it easy to fit?

Reliable?

Anything else to consider before buying one?

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

No
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:27 am

As above but worth telling your insurance company as its a modification. Unlikely to affect premium but better safe than sorry.

Cost me £20 admin fee to get new certificate issued.

cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:34 am

Bob wrote:And there's no need to cut the pipe.

There is a short T piece accessable from under the passenger seat. This is proteced by a rubber sleeve.

Either grip the very end with pliers or cut off with a knife. Don't grip the pipe with pliers.

Hope that helps.
Project started .... I already have a pipe coming off the T-piece marked. It runs to some gubbins mounted on the chassis. I think I have read in threads on installing a diesel fuelled heater that it is possible to remove this? The "gubbins" has quite a few other pipes and wires attached! (this sounds so ignorant, and is :oops: )
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:20 pm

Sounds like you've got the warm up valve in the exhaust. It can be removed or disabled but you could just fit a T-piece into the rubber tube for now.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:15 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Sounds like you've got the warm up valve in the exhaust. It can be removed or disabled but you could just fit a T-piece into the rubber tube for now.
Thanks Simon. Bongo has/had cold weather equipment. I am still doing dry run of the installation and got to the speedo sensor. The speedo conversion pictures in the guide show a little unit with 3 wires which I don't have, nor is it listed in the Waeco manual so I am assuming this is an extra bit on your van. I will just need to connect the blue from the twin core (black and blue) MS50 cable to the Instrument panel blue/white.

There is a Blue/White on both of the connectors. I think from the photos it is the one on the RH (looking forward) wider connector but can somebody confirm. I have thought of picking up the Green/Red as suggested by Simon in a post in 2013 but there is one of those in each connector as well!

[Edit]: Think I have found the answer in a post which describes use the Blue/White in the middle connector. I only have two connectors and the middle connector in the instrument module is the RH of my two connectors, which ties in with my earlier thoughts.
Chris with BertieB
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Follow the track from SP+ on the rear of the PCB to the connector and I think it goes to blue/white. There seems to be one wire in (blue/white) and one wire out (green/red) which on mine went to the ISO connector on the rear of the stereo. Ignore the black unit with the wires in my photo as that was a Kmh to mph converter which was later removed.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Both are on the wider connector in centre of PCB.
SP+ goes to Blue/White which rings true with other posts and your guide.

Excellent. Thanks Simon.
I've sorted out what I'm doing with everything else, had lunch, so its now time to start for real!!

I plan to take power off fuse 10 (Dashboard 15A - black/green at back of fuses) as my Fuse 8 circuit is permanently live off the LB.
Chris with BertieB
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:11 pm

One other thing - if it is a Waeco MS-50 you will almost certainly find it won't "lock on" at any speed when you test it on the road.
If that is the case you will need to cut the "loop" wire on the control unit (not the key pad) to make the unit read the correct pulse rate from the speedo.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:06 pm

scanner wrote:One other thing - if it is a Waeco MS-50 you will almost certainly find it won't "lock on" at any speed when you test it on the road.
If that is the case you will need to cut the "loop" wire on the control unit (not the key pad) to make the unit read the correct pulse rate from the speedo.
Thanks Scanner.
Chris with BertieB
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:49 pm

Job unfinished :cry: Vaccum pipe has challenged me. (My initiation into working round the front of the engine :wink: ). I think the smallest T piece provided with the MS50 is too large and I could not insert it into the old pipe with restricted access. I then tried removing the original pipe running round the front of the engine so I could really work it onto the MS50 T piece with heat if necessary; successful at the end nearest the passenger side but couldn't get purchase at the other end tucked away in front of the engine. How robust is the original T?

Wondering about buying a new length of pipe thinking it might be more pliable.
Chris with BertieB
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Why do you need a "T" piece?

I haven't used one.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:07 pm

scanner wrote:Why do you need a "T" piece?

I haven't used one.
Previous discussion .......
cmm303 wrote:
Bob wrote:And there's no need to cut the pipe.

There is a short T piece accessable from under the passenger seat. This is proteced by a rubber sleeve.

Either grip the very end with pliers or cut off with a knife. Don't grip the pipe with pliers.

Hope that helps.
Project started .... I already have a pipe coming off the T-piece marked. It runs to some gubbins mounted on the chassis. I think I have read in threads on installing a diesel fuelled heater that it is possible to remove this? The "gubbins" has quite a few other pipes and wires attached! (this sounds so ignorant, and is :oops: )
Simon Jones wrote:Sounds like you've got the warm up valve in the exhaust. It can be removed or disabled but you could just fit a T-piece into the rubber tube for now.
Chris with BertieB
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:09 am

I thought you were disconnecting the cold start device.

If you don't need the cold start bit, just disconnect that pipe and fit the pipe for the Cruise Control. No need for a "T" piece then and less chance of leaks.

Return to “Techie Stuff”