fitting a bike in,motorcycle

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ognob

fitting a bike in,motorcycle

Post by ognob » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:17 pm

hi everyone :D
has anyone on the site put a motorcycle in the back of a bongo with the seats out,sports bike that is .anyone know the measurement from floor to top of rear roof ,inside height.bike is 54inch high with mirrors attached and is 7 ft long. thanks. :)
bj4

Post by bj4 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:21 am

Hi there
Managed to get my Transalp in comfortably with both sets of seats out. You should have no trouble with a sports bike as I would imagine it is smaller than a Transalp. The seats are HEAVY though... :shock:
debs+kate

Post by debs+kate » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:31 pm

we managed to get a Yamaha ybr 125 and a Gilera dna 125 in (onseparate occasions - our bongo isn't a 2 lane version lol) . This was with the ffront set of seats (out of the 2 in the back) still in! fitted perfectly with the front wheel turned to maximum.

Why didn't we ride them home? Because on a cbt motorways are a no go.

Why have we got motorbikes?

To compensate for the expense of tax and fuel of our beloved bongo!

:shock:

xx
ognob

bike in back

Post by ognob » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:26 pm

hi
thanks for the answers :D .got the tape out today ,ishould just about get a ktm 1000 in the back with the mirrors off with a 1 inch to spare height wise :P . length should be quite tight to.maybe put some eyes in the bolt holes were the seats come out to tie down. have'nt worked out how to get up in the roof space for a kip yet. :roll:
Linusface

Post by Linusface » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:36 am

:shock: Never really thought about transporting the bike :!:, but I quite like the idea :idea:
How do you secure the bike :?:
Have you built a ramp :?: or do you just wheelie it in :shock:
I suppose a scaffold board would do it, but I'd probably fall off :oops:
debs+kate

Post by debs+kate » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:42 am

| wouldn't advise riding the bike up the ramp as you will smack your head on the roof!

But yeah, we used a scaffold board for one...and 2 strong men in lift mode for the other! They kinda wedged themselves in with no tying, i guess i'd have been happier if they'd have been secured tho.
rash
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by rash » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:22 pm

I've done this a few times. Hope the following helps. Captions are under the photos.

Buell XB12R into Bongo. Ramp from http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatalog/ ... traps.html . Works a treat.

I bought the van from Imperial in Poole. When they did the conversion, I got them to put some tie-down rings in. They had a good look when the interior was stripped out and reckoned there were two places where the front rings could go. If I had it done again, I'd pick a spot further forward, right at the front of the flat floor, just behind the engine. The existing ones work OK though as the bike has a short wheelbase. I use two straps on the front; one off the top of each fork leg. This holds the bike upright.

Martin couldn't find a suitable spot to fix the rear rings on the floor, so bolted them into the rear seatbelt anchors. They seem to work fine. I use one strap tightened down over the saddle.

I've happily driven short distances with the bike as you see it here, though it works better if you chock the wheels front and rear to stop any forward or backward movement. There's plenty of room to slide the ramp down the side of the bike. Creates a bit of a stir when I drop the Bongo off for a service. :D
"It is too rash, too unadvised, too sudden."
ognob

buell's

Post by ognob » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:50 pm

hi linusface, debs +kate,rash, :D first gona use a ramp :) , two have a rack to wheel the bike into ,so it sits straight,plus gona tie it down, hey rash check this out.lucky for us the xb's are short eh .might struggle with the ktm.

Return to “Techie Stuff”