Does a Mazda MX6 steering wheel fit?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MattH

Does a Mazda MX6 steering wheel fit?

Post by MattH » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:26 pm

I was looking at the steering wheel of a 1997 Mazda MX6 and it looks exactly the same as a Bongo (only much less knackered than mine).

Is this too good to be true? Are the boss and the electricals the same? Has anyone tried one?

Matt
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:51 pm

Hi Matt,
Strangely enough I was thinking the same about My steering wheel last week.
It was looking a bit jaded until I gave it a spray with Simoniz "Back To Black" cracking stuff brought mine back a treat looks like a new one now!!

Its also good for tyres and the little mudguards on a Bongo in fact any plastic bits.It also worked really well on the mirror casings and the rear mirror surround.

Worth a try but a good spot nonetheless :D

Cheers Dave
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
MattH

Post by MattH » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:31 pm

Hi Dave
Mines cracked and the rubber outer is coming away from the steel. Its going to need more than surface treatment.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:36 pm

- or you could fit an MX5 steering wheel boss and a nice leather steering wheel .
Tip - if you find an early MX5 MK1 in a scrappy - take off the nasty plastic centre panel and you may well find a MOMO alloy wheel underneath - fit it again when you ask for a price :)

This only applies to the non airbag models of course.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:44 pm

I got a MK1 ( pop up headlamps) MX5 wheel and boss ( it is the shiney alloy 'Momo' ) and fitted it tonight in 15 minutes . Straight swop for the Bongo wheel on a 1995 van. Looks good.
MattH

Post by MattH » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:33 am

I have taken the plunge and bought an MX6 wheel with airbag from Ebay.
I'll try to fit it this weekend. If it looks like its going to be successful I'll photograph the process and offer it to the FAQs
ChrisEm

Post by ChrisEm » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:06 pm

Hi vanvliet, do you know if mx5 wheels fit without the boss kit? There's some nice ones on evilbay and was wondering what will fit etc.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:43 pm

No you would need the boss kit -it raises the wheel clear of the indicator stalks.The Momo I fitted is slightly dished - a completely flat wheel would obstruct the stalks.
Get a boss with a plastic / rubber bellows gaiter - looks much neater than some which come without one unless you like bling!.
I actually swopped the standard Bongo wheel (which does not have a separate boss) with the factory standard fit Momo alloy /leather wheel and boss on my Mx5 1993 model .The steering column plastic shroud looks like exactly the same part on both cars.
The Bongo wheel looks good in the Mx5 too! Only slightly bigger.

I am interested in the idea of fitting an airbag wheel but is this not a bit dangerous unless you know what you are doing?
Mikey B

Steerrng Wheel

Post by Mikey B » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:25 am

This is the steering wheel that came with our Bongo. Its different than the standard black ones and is made by Junis International.

MattH

Success! A Mazda MX6 sterring wheel does fit!

Post by MattH » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:24 pm

Success! A Mazda MX6 steering wheel does fit!

The steering wheel and airbag from a 1997 Mazda MX6 is an exact replacement for the Bongo wheel and airbag. I got mine from Ebay and fitted it this morning. The boss and connectors are exactly the same. The replacement is a 10 minute job and the whole lot cost ?35 for a 'good as new' steering wheel.

Here is a photo of the steering wheel boss (underside) for the curious and those looking for a replacement.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:01 pm

The airbag bit - - how does this work? Can it be fitted to a previously non airbag equiped Bongo ? When fitting -anything to beware of?
Last edited by vanvliet on Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisEm

Post by ChrisEm » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:21 pm

I really wouldn't want to go down the airbag route, has lot's of safety implications. The last thing you would want is it inflating spontaneously. It could create havoc regards insurance etc in case of an accident. Thanks for the advice on the boss etc.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:32 pm

I have concerns about this too - both fitting the thing safely and running the car with the new airbag wheel . The airbag was an extra on most of the early cars and if it was safe to fit one i would like to know how to do it Probably need an expert's advice on this one.
I believe that there are aftermarket wheels which feature an airbag as an option
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:58 pm

Something to bear in mind is that airbags only have a 10 lifespan & after that they should either be replaced or assumed to be no longer reliable. Not something you are ever likely to find out unless you hit something.
MattH

Airbags

Post by MattH » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:50 am

I did a bit of research on the airbags before I did the replacement. I didn't want to get my head blown off.

It is necessary to ensure that you disconnect the battery and keep your head clear of the assembly when dismantling it, but apart from the basic precautions removal and refit are really easy. The central nyloc nut fits a 21mm socket.

The airbag comes as a fairly well self contained unit that bolts with 4 M6 screws onto the steering wheel. I believe that the sensors and everything required are in the unit. The connectors are to a different standard to the normal Mazda ones, much higher grade and probably to some generic airbag standard. It seems that the central steering wheel cover is designed to burst off when the bag inflates and it probably hinges upwards. The system itself is built (as a complete American made unit) to a very high standard and I don't doubt it would still function correctly.

I would strongly recommend against retrofit of an airbag on a non airbag vehicle. I have no idea of the power and fusing requirements. I can't even be sure that the decellerometers (ie the things that make it go off) are not fitted externally.

The old steering wheel was made of steel pieces welded together. The later replacement is a cast aluminium alloy. I think the delamination problem is due to the adhesion of the rubber outer cover to the steel. The bonding to the alloy seems to be much better.

Return to “Techie Stuff”