Busted Bongo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

J and J
Bongonaut

Busted Bongo

Post by J and J » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:38 pm

:( :( :( :cry: Argh the worst thing in the world has occured!
Coming home from a lovely week in our Billie Bongo she suddenly stopped! we were towed to garage, and exhaustive research this week has unveiled no water so engine now knackered, a leak had developed in the hose, no we didn't notice anything was odd, the question is this:- What to do now? buy a recon engine? from where? we are in Peterborough any advice gratefully received. Thanks J and J
Jane and John (J & J)
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:25 pm

try bellhill garage, they usually have some in, dont quote me but they said recon engine bout 800 notes plus vat
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:43 pm

So sorry to hear about your trouble guys.
:cry:

Keep us informed how its going.

A message to us all there I think. Whatever your motor, Bongo or ordinary car, always check the fluids regularly.

Its a pain in the rear, but it really only takes a moment to pop the bonnet and have a quick look.

I have been giving this some thought.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to put a sensor in the header tank to illuminate a warning bulb on the dash when fluid level drops.

I cant believe that most cars tell you when the washer bottle is low, but the Bongo doesn't tell you when it is low on coolant.

Any thoughts???

Regards and commiserations,

Big Dave
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:45 pm

P.S.

If anyone invents one that you can retrofit, I want one.

Ta

Big Dave
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:52 pm

If you go the recon engine path, please make sure you have a competant garage to do the refit. We had a recon engine fitted by a local garage, who had no experrience of bongos, this lead to problems at a later date :cry: I reckon dream is somewhere near with the price he quoted, but not sure what you will pay to have the job done. Dave your suggestion on a sensor sounds interesting, I stick to checking hoses and coolant levels on a (very) regular basis :wink:
Image Pete
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:03 pm

It's force of habit with me after 30yrs of Police trained driving, daily and weekly checks is a habit hard to break and has saved me on more than one occasion, simple to do and only takes a few mins. Happy motoring.
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:23 pm

Very sorry to hear of your bad news.

I know its a long way from home but Combellacks in Cornwall have a Bongo in with engine and slushbox. I don't think they are asking the earlier quoted price either. Their number is 01726 891100.

Tim
"Living the Dream"
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:37 pm

Price of engines vary greatly, our recon was ?900 & vat-24000 miles
Image Pete
J and J
Bongonaut

Busted Bongo

Post by J and J » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:24 pm

Thanks guys and gals for your support, I have seen the inside of Billie and the mechanic showed me where the problem occured, the hose had split, leaked onto engine and caused the problem, we didn't smell anything odd, and as it was pouring with rain for most of the journey didn't see any steam coming from under the bonnet, I will contact Cornwall garage and speak to them next week, but if any one else has information re a recon engine please post reply, I will check as and when, thanks again.
Jane and John (J & J)
grumpo

Post by grumpo » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:32 pm

:idea:

Shouldn't be too difficult to fit a sensor, if it's possible to get your fingers
in the filler hole to bolt two 1/4 inch stainless rods in the top of the tank.

You can buy a transistorised relay from RS or Maplin and from then on
you could drive a bloody great big fog horn.

:?: :?:
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:19 pm

I love you Grumpo!
Keswick

Post by Keswick » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:42 pm

I am beginning to think I do too. I've gone from a laid back lass to a paranoid coolant and temperature guage watcher in three weeks!
grumpo

Post by grumpo » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:44 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by grumpo on Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:09 am

Bad news J & J, just today I was in the engine bay wiring/plumbing an eberspacher and noticed the start of a hole being rubbed in the main coolant hose at the front on the driver's side.
It was being chaffed by the fuel pump metal hose clip - the same was happening to Bumbly1's too :shock: The pipe can be gently bent a couple of mm to the rear to clear the hose but someting worth looking at - a definate design problem methinks!
I'll post a pic of the problem area soon.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:21 am

Yes please Dandy. Can't afford a new engine :shock:

Return to “Techie Stuff”