Button with engine

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stuart_indalo
Bongonaut

Button with engine

Post by stuart_indalo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:08 pm

Yes I know I should have bought a manual by now but could someone tell me what the button with the engine on it is for? I really want to push it to try and find out what it does but that is not a very sensible approach,

I have still to organise the refurb. of my steering column in Bristol but I will get round to it when i find a garage that can keep the Bongo while it is repaired. I also need to have it rustproofed and further investigate some of my noise at above 30mph.

Someone mentioned an electrician in Arlesford did they also do mechanics? I have used the search facility but it is rather eccentric....
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:53 pm

That's the switch for the hybrid Californian spec model's electric motor stuart
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:58 pm

Stuart,
Ignore him he's taking the ****. :wink: Where is this button. can you get a picture of it on the forum? I have never heard (or seen ) of such a thing.
(not that that is anything to go by.)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:00 pm

It's to control a flap on the exhaust that helps to deflect warm exhaust gas somewhere(!) to help the engine warm up quicker. Haven't got one myself, but have seen reference to it on the forum. Try a search for "pre-heat" & you will find the answer.
shutty747

Post by shutty747 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:16 am

agreed its to help warm the engine up, (I think its part of the "Winter Pack", along with dual batteries, or do many Bongos have it?) but I'm not sure how it actually does it has ever been confirmed.

An alternative theory seen on the forum is that its an oil-sump heater element, which to me sounds a better idea, in that sump heaters are a simple and well known way of heating diesels up in winter on large trucks / tanks and such.

Also, the exhaust flap would need a motor to move it, as the switch itself is just an electric on/off.

I'd like to think Mazda went with the sump heater, but that might just be wishful thinking?
Athers

Post by Athers » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:38 pm

I always thought it had something to do with the Glo-Plugs?

Oh well.

I have dual batteries/winter pack......never needed the switch though!
stuart_indalo
Bongonaut

On the button

Post by stuart_indalo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:33 pm

Yes that is it in the picture! Thanks a lot, now I can go ahead and push it tomorrow...

So I use it on cold days to help warm the engine up? Does it have timer liek a heated window or do I run it for a few minutes until the temperature indicator comes up?
shutty747

Post by shutty747 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:49 am

not sure - do let us know though :wink:
Athers

Post by Athers » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:57 am

I accidently switched it on and NO it didn't switch itself off...........

As with all vehicle at start-up time, more fuel is used.

I would steer clear of using it if the vehicle is starting normally!
stuart_indalo
Bongonaut

Post by stuart_indalo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:57 pm

Well, it was a cool morning and I pushed the button.......................and I noticed no change whatsoever! I think I'll save it for a Baltic morning.
Seeker

Post by Seeker » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:02 pm

Waste of time and fuel, like EGR. I dumped mine when I fitted a new exhaust.

UNless you are camping at minus 10(highly likely) and keep the engine running to give heat. It doesnt do anything of value.
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:03 pm

I have exactly the same switch on my mitsibushi canter 7.5t pickup.
Its a 05 plate.
Havent pressed it yet, but if you do a search ont net for the canter controls, it might help.
jimsmimm

Post by jimsmimm » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:25 pm

the bloke I bought my bongo from told me its a diesel heater switch ,to thaw the diesel on really cold mornings ....beats building a bonfire under the diesel tank , I suppose :roll:
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:40 pm

Unlikely to use it over here. However if a diesel engine is idling under very cold conditions the engine temp drops. When the switch is made it closes down on a valve in the exhaust thereby bringing the engine temperature back up. Its not a sump heater as mentioned which is a shame really :cry: .
"Living the Dream"
DemonAV
Bongolier

Post by DemonAV » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:19 pm

I translated this moment from the japanese instruction
This is what there said:
System of heating.
This system decrease warming up time in the cold time
1) To start the engine
2) To press the switch, the lamp of indication on the button will light up, the system work
3) To press other side of the switch for switching-off system

Note: By pressing a pedal of gas the system is disconnected. With the release of the pedal of gas the system will be work again. The system of warming up is disconnected, when the temperature of antifreeze becomes above nominal and will be work again when temperature of antifreeze decrease

this theme on russian http://www.mikrob.ru/viewtopic.php?p=73872#73872
This system governs shutter in the exhaust
Russian Mazda Friendee Club
http://www.mazdafriendee.ru

Return to “Techie Stuff”