Boring boring rx8 alloys

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Hedgetrimmer

Boring boring rx8 alloys

Post by Hedgetrimmer » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:59 am

Sorry before I start.

Have done a search etc but cant fathom out a straight answer so here I go ... sorry!

Ive got 18" RX8 alloys coming for my N-Reg Bongo 4wd 2.5 automatic.

What tyres should i fit, i want them to be as cheap as possible without compromising the look etc.

And is it worth doing anything with the old ones other than keeping them for a rainy day (they are just standard steels)

By the way I dont understand what 255/45/18's means!! I guess the 18 means inches. I prefer to walk inot to ats and say "errr think i need a tyre..." - salesmans dream I know!

Help please
Bumbly1

Post by Bumbly1 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:24 am

To avoid complications, you will need tyres with the same rolling radius as standard, particularly if you have 4wd. With 18" wheels this will give less compliance and could result in a crashy ride. There is an article about this in the members section.

Tom
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:52 am

255/45/18 means:-
255 =metric measurement from bead to bead over the top (tread) of the trye.
45= aspect ratio i:e: the 'depth' of the tyre from bead to the top of the tread as a ratio of the treead width. so if your tread width is 100mm the 'depth' of the tyre is 45 mm or 45% By the way. If you haven't got piles now you soon will have riding on a 45 aspect tyre. VERY HARD and unforgiving ride!
18 is, as you so correctly surmise, the diameter in inches.
Hedgetrimmer

Post by Hedgetrimmer » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:28 am

So the question would have to be that i want ***/**/18's

Now can anyone tell me what the other aspects I want are and why?

I hear what you say about the ride quality but I have read many posts that say they do not feel it is compromised. Hope this is the case.

Thanks for the help so far though guys I feel educated!
DORSET DAVE

TYRES

Post by DORSET DAVE » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:22 pm

Hedge,

Upgrading to 18's myself, i've spoke to a couple of member's on this site and pm'd a few the popular choice seem's to be 245/45/18.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Re: Boring boring rx8 alloys

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:38 pm

Hedgetrimmer wrote:Sorry before I start.

Have done a search etc but cant fathom out a straight answer so here I go ... sorry!

Ive got 18" RX8 alloys coming for my N-Reg Bongo 4wd 2.5 automatic.

What tyres should i fit, i want them to be as cheap as possible without compromising the look etc.

And is it worth doing anything with the old ones other than keeping them for a rainy day (they are just standard steels)

By the way I dont understand what 255/45/18's means!! I guess the 18 means inches. I prefer to walk inot to ats and say "errr think i need a tyre..." - salesmans dream I know!

Help please
PLEASE don't go for "as cheap as possible"......you don't want 2 tonnes of Bongo sledging uncontrollably towards a bus queue on "MADE IN THE WORLD" tyres :shock:

I really can't see the logic in paying out lots of money for nice wheels then skinping on the ultra important rubber bits - the only bit between you and the wall!!!!
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Hedgetrimmer

Post by Hedgetrimmer » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:50 pm

Bless you for your concern dandy.

Luckily what I meant by my rather flippant comment was that I wasnt obsessed by the thinest possible tyre for looks only (as I believe the thinner the more expensive)

I would not and never have bought unbranded tyres (as I said salesmans dream) and certainly wouldnt dream of it when doing the 18inch probably wasnt meant for it job.

Thanks for your concern though, it gives me great confidence in posting on this website. And i will check the members area once i get round to setting up paypal to join! It has only been a week!
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:52 pm

Hope you aren't takin' the pi$$ hedgey.......................... :?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:44 pm

My old volvo was on eastern block tyres.
Looked chunky.
Lasted for 4 years and looked like new when I sold the car.
Unfortunately, I sold the car to a scrapyard after sliding into the kerb and losing a wheel.
Oh. They whined like a bitch at speed too.

Cheap but rubbish
Linusface

Post by Linusface » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:45 pm

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/contents.html

:shock: Don't forget load index (minimum 96 - 710kg for a Freda) & speed rating (at least T - 118mph) :!:

But I would think most people would be more comfortable with a bit more of a safety cushion, so 100H - (800kg & 130mph) would be the choice :D

See link above for all you need to know, including a tyre size comparison chart (scroll down the left until you see tyre size calculator). Put the size of your old tyre in the top boxes & the size of your new wheels in the bottom box, then play around with sizes until the % difference is as small as possible. (When fitting 18" wheels you're very limited for tyre profiles, if you want to maintain the same rolling circumference) 8)

Vanity - the curse of the modern World :roll:
Hedgetrimmer

Post by Hedgetrimmer » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:41 pm

Dandy,

I assume that last post was meant tongue in cheek. I wasnt taking the michael mate. :D

I am genuinely pleased for all the help I got including your advice, just thought I would clarify im not a complete numpty as when I read your response and what id wrote I could see why you would think I am :D .

I dont need that reputation following me around :D

PS: this is why i hate email and forums, you cant tell peoples tone of voice in a post. If I was posting to a yank he wouldnt dream I was being sarcastic, but post to a Brit and its always assumed.

I save my sarcasm for the wife, she loves it
goose

Post by goose » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:05 pm

Just got a set of rx8 s fitted , have put on 225/40/18 s , the tyres are extra load ones, although i did get part worn ones! ?150 for all four tyres balanced and fitted. very good tread and condition and dunlops too!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:43 pm

Hedgetrimmer, there's always interest in standard wheels to replace the skinny spare. If you have a set going spare, stick them on the forum & I'm sure you'll get rid of them.
YVANOVICZ

Post by YVANOVICZ » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:34 am

Hi Hedgetrimmer,
I have 245/45/18. I find the lower profile tyres such as 245/35/18 look less attractive as mine fill the arches more. Have a look at the gallery and you will see my truck. 8)
stuartw

Post by stuartw » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:38 pm

hi there,

i also have the rx8 alloys (custom sprayed metalic black but thats another story) went with the 245, 45, 18 combo, looks great on the van and ride doesn't seem much different from the 'orrible steel rims. I checked out loads of tires and the best value for money ones (for me) were the maragochi mythos (I might have spelt that wrong but its raining and i ca't be bothered to go and check).

they were the extra load tires which makes a lot of sense considering the size of the tire and the weight of the bongo. maragochi is made in the same factory as pirelli, so good tires, handled the trip back from woolacombe in the wet with ease and very little road noise in the dry.

i picked mine up for ?120 a tire, there not cheap but prices for 18in tires are silly compared with 17's.

hope this helps

stu...

Return to “Techie Stuff”