Engine stalls when engine cold

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Mathter

Engine stalls when engine cold

Post by Mathter » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:26 pm

Hi Folks - hope you can help...

Anyway, the problem I have is this. This morning I jumped in my car and it started fine. Reversed back off the driveway and there didn't seems to be much power there - I put it down to a different pair of shoes! Anyway, drove it about 1/4 mile and stopped at some lights and the engine stalled. It was a bit tricky starting it again - it would catch and then splutter out again. In the end I kept the key turned and pressed down on the accelerator and that seemed to work. Drove for about another 1/4 mile and had to stop in traffic and it all happened again. As I slowed down in heavy traffic, the revs dropped and it felt like it wanted to stall again. I had to try and keep the revs up which was interesting in an automatic! Also, when pressing down on the accelerator, it didn't always want to build up the revs. After I'd driven around 20 miles, it seemed to be fine. Gear changing is normal.

Just done another short trip and the problem has happened again.

Weather this morning and all day has been wet. But then again it has been on other days when there's been no problems.

Had a full service and filter change two weeks ago along with at least one glow plug.

I'm taking it back to the garage I bought it from on Sunday for them to look at. They reckon it could be a fuel blockage somewhere. I'm away for the weekend in the Bongo and will be covering around 5-600 miles so at least I'll know exactly when it does and doesn't do it!

Does anyone else have any other suggestions as to what the problem could be. I have tried the search and fact sheets but couldn't see anything.

Also, do you think it's OK to risk it this weekend or should I leave the Bongo behind? :cry:

Perhaps my Bongo is getting back at me for calling it stupid? - but it was only meant as a joke :?
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:28 pm

Sounds either like a fuel blockage of drawing air in the fuel line until the engine temperature warms it up and seals it
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:31 pm

because you have had a filter change, i would guess there is some crap stuck in the filter, i dodnt think it would be a glow plug problem as this only preheats the diesal.

but i doubt it, i would put my money on a blockage.
Mathter

Post by Mathter » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:29 pm

Thanks for your help guys, that's really helpful. However - I've driven the Bongo 3 times since my last post and the problem seems to have mysteriously disappeared. Could a blockage such as you describe clear itself?

(Or perhaps it was the good talking to that worked?)

I will take it away this weekend as planned and see what happens...
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:20 pm

possibly, if it was some crap it may well have cleared itself, how much fuel did you have in your tank?

if you were at the bottom of the tank it may have sucked some debris from the bottom of the tank into the fuel sytem. or some may have got into the system when he was changing the filter
Mathter

Post by Mathter » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:03 pm

I had about a third of a tank full left, so wouldn't have thought that would be a problem?

Went away for the weekend and no problems. Spluttered a couple of times Sunday morning and then again today. Clears very quickly and then no hint of a problem.

I'll try and have a rummage around this weekend and see what's what.

Thanks again...
Seeker

Post by Seeker » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:07 pm

I would suggest tightening the fuel filter sunds as if air is getting in.

Return to “Techie Stuff”