Wont start

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Paul and Juliette

Wont start

Post by Paul and Juliette » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:21 pm

Just went to start the Bongo and when I turn the key to wait for the glow light to go out it clicks like crazy, if I turn the interior light on, it goes on and off in tandem with the clicking, if I try and start it clicks very loudly - any ideas?
crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:33 pm

:? P&J I`m no expert but I do know from having a few diesels that if your battery is duff, or if you have loose connections on your battery terminals you may get the problems you seem to be experiencing. Take a look at these, got to be worth a shot :wink:
cheers! party on dudes.
ChrisEm

Post by ChrisEm » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:33 pm

I'll second that! Well worth giving the battery terminals a good clean up and coating with terminal protector this time of year. You could also have a duff cell in the battery, have you used the vehicle recently?
Could also be a loose or corroded earth terminal, I learn't the hard way many moons ago when I bought a new starter and it was the earth lead corroded inside the crimp terminal all along.
Last edited by ChrisEm on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:37 pm

definitely battery/connections. Had to jump start her ladyship's Fiesta the other night - silly moo left the lights on. The relay/starter solenoid will click when the voltage is low.
PAUL10121968

Post by PAUL10121968 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:37 pm

hi there has been a lot of discussion on the starting problems of the bongo,battery voltage to low is one,dirty terminals also,but the main starting prolem with the bongo is concerning the solenoid that sits on the side of the starter motor,when you turn the key sometimes you just here a click and nothing happens, then all of a sudden you turn the key and it just starts up as normal as if nothing has happened.i would advise you to check out the archives section of the site there is loads of info there on the subject.rest assured this is an annoying but minor problem and is easily rectified.paul :wink:
Paul and Juliette

Post by Paul and Juliette » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:58 am

Thanks for all the replys guys, some great advice.
ChrisEm

Post by ChrisEm » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:17 pm

Any joy yet? Please let us know what you find! :D
Paul and Juliette

Post by Paul and Juliette » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:42 pm

you were right guys, still wont start as battery is very dead but enough to stop the (very) loud clicking and flashing of lights. Thanks guys.

Return to “Techie Stuff”