Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Uprated Suspension Springs

Post by Gasy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:51 am

Gasy wrote:Hello all hope all is good
Not been on for a long while
Then see this from days back

Yes I fitted the 25 ./. Stronger ones and I was still bottoming out even with out the caravan on the back
So I fitted the airlift .co.uk air bags and
The best £100 I've ever spent on a vehicle
Fitted in 1 hr each sizd with a trolley jack and a pair of normal pliers for the spring clips
Jacked it up pushed the bags in with the handle of the trolley jack cut hose to short length tie wrapped to under body used pliers to put spring clips on hose and valve in wheel arch pumped up job done
I run mine at 20 psi
No way near as much roll through corners and Can now travel down same road at 50 with caravan on back when I used to have to crawl at 10-15 mph
I would not bother with new springs these bags are wonders

O another little things I have done to it since I've been on is gear box rad cooler mounted at front
I've moved number plate to the side on the bumper and it now runs 2c cooler under normal conditions
Had to have the rear left had side droopy bumper welded up
Just done glastonbury fest and devon for 2 weeks no probs
Had it 4 1/2 years now 20000 miles no major probs
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:52 am

Gasy wrote:
Gasy wrote:Hello all hope all is good
Not been on for a long while
Then see this from days back

Yes I fitted the 25 ./. Stronger ones and I was still bottoming out even with out the caravan on the back
So I fitted the airlift .co.uk air bags and
The best £100 I've ever spent on a vehicle
Fitted in 1 hr each sizd with a trolley jack and a pair of normal pliers for the spring clips
Jacked it up pushed the bags in with the handle of the trolley jack cut hose to short length tie wrapped to under body used pliers to put spring clips on hose and valve in wheel arch pumped up job done
I run mine at 20 psi
No way near as much roll through corners and Can now travel down same road at 50 with caravan on back when I used to have to crawl at 10-15 mph
I would not bother with new springs these bags are wonders
I could not tell a difference with the new springs fitted

Other little things I have done to it since I've been on is gear box rad cooler mounted at front
I've moved number plate to the side on the bumper and it now runs 2c cooler under normal conditions
Had to have the rear left had side droopy bumper welded up
Just done glastonbury fest and devon for 2 weeks no probs
Had it 4 1/2 years now 20000 miles no major probs
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Calum
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Calum » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:00 pm

Thanks for the regular updates Gasy! I fitted the same last year and can honestly say they have been fantastic. I also used to bottom out all the time, but now it's just not a worry. Handles very well.
Calum
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:49 pm

Hello all
I have just fitted the airlift 1000 system. So this comment is really about fitting as opposed to benefits, I read various fitting guides and opted to install using brute force rather than a spring compressor, big mistake I feel, took 1.25 hours per side, 1.25 hours of cursing, wishing I had a spring compressor, scrapped forearms, bruised fingers and various pieces of broken wood, which was essential to force the bags in between the spring coils. There were definite points where I was not convinced I was going to get them in but was at the point of no return. I removed the wheel and had the vehicle jacked up via the chassis with axle stands as a back up, to give me maximum clearance.

Anyway they are in now and inflated to 20psi.

My bongo is unconverted but does have a full width size storage box seated on the rear most bench seat, which I suspect weighs in around 35kg loaded up. This caused bottoming out over speed humps and rough road surfaces, hence the need for the bags.

One thing I was concerned about is when jacking up and lowering the van in the future, whether the airlift bag stoppers placed at each end will fit correctly once lowered, as upon fitting i had to move the bag slightly in order for it to fit correctly at the top seating point upon lowering.

That said, they are now in situ and I have no desire to try and remove them. Hoping they will prove beneficial.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:04 pm

You'll fing a big improvement.

From memory, the instructions said to release the air from the bags before jacking the vehicle, then re-inflate once it's back on the ground.

I'm guessing if you extend the spring, by jacking the body, the bag (under pressure) will force itself out between the coils and be damaged once the weight is back on. If you're with me. :wink:
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:50 pm

Hello Bob
I appreciate what you are saying re bags under pressure, I inspected them once on the jack and could see they filled the spring but did not appear to be bulging between the coils but I will deflate and reinflate just to be on the safe side.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:47 pm

Newly fitted I don't think it's a big problem, but over time I think the air bags will mould to their happy place inside the springs.

That's where jacking and lowering, with them pressurised, might not be good. :wink:
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:04 pm

I have just re read the installation instructions and no mention of lower pressure whilst changing a wheel etc is required however it does state if the vehicle is to be jacked up over a longer period you are advised to support the axle with jack stands.
But as you mentioned as they age I will keep a close eye on them.
Just pleased they are fitted and my body can heal..
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:48 am

what size kit did you purchase?
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:14 am

Hello bongolia
I purchased the airlift 1000 kit. Calling the supplier first to confirm it was the specific kit for my 2001 vehicle.

Having now driven the vehicle I can say the difference in the performance of the suspension is noticeable but not dramatic (but then what was I expecting if I think about it) I no longer bottom out over speed bumps etc and driving around twisty lanes I do feel we experience less roll, so feel more stable. The ride also seems less spongy, a more solid ride I guess. I have them inflated to 21psi.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:18 pm

I'm quite tempted by these we currently have...

A mid conversion,
original rear bench seat (which weighs a ton)
Ply floor (which added a bit of weight)
Roof box - pretty much permanently fitted now
Rear Thule bike carrier permanently fitted on the tailgate.
Either storage box or bikes on the rack (not all the time but up to 50kg)

The bump stops make regular contact with the axle, there are two very clean spots on the axle. Sitting in the back is very harsh over bumps in the road. The front isn't the best ever but, sitting in the rear makes you cringe. I might treat the bongo to a set of these soon.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:18 am

They will stop the bottoming out and smoothen out the ride too. Conversions do add a considerable amount of weight to the vehicle and as the bags can with hold 100psi (not that you should run them at that) they do firm up the suspension.
I would definitely recommend using a spring compressor if you do decide to fit them though.

Return to “Techie Stuff”