Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: A slight twist to the "bleeding method"

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:49 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Mike...
I'll look out for something like that....I've only ever used cruise control on the Jag...I have cruise control on the Jeep...never use it!...I don't like them....OOOooohhh I'll get shouted at now!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
Hmmmmm, don't think this is it :shock:

http://www.eaglelondon.com/#!cruise-control/czwx

Ahhhhh, this looks like the current version of the thing I've got:

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/e ... se-Control

Not sure how they can claim it maintains the desired speed though, as it works on the fixed throttle principle not feedback from the speedo etc. But the principle works well as in reality, you can't hold a car at 60mph just because you want to anyway, unless the road is devoid of other traffic.

Here's a thread discussing it:

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/30-par ... ntrol.html

Interesting variation in purchase prices!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi
Mike...
I'm more interested in just propping the throttle when the aircon is on!....I never have been much of a person for lazy driving...I like the idea of keeping busy....adjusting the tickover when parked for a while sounds good!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:58 pm

Something like this might be helpful during bleeding: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-48700-Throt ... B000XSEBEK

Chap that did my LPG made something with a heavy metal base that sits on the floor and a hinged 'foot' which presses against the pedal and then a threaded bolt which adjusts the position of the foot. Keep meaning to make something similar for when I'm tinkering with the cars.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:58 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Mike...
I'm more interested in just propping the throttle when the aircon is on!....I never have been much of a person for lazy driving...I like the idea of keeping busy....adjusting the tickover when parked for a while sounds good!
Cheers
Helen
Very good use for it except solenoid kicks it off when applying brakes on tickover. Think I'll disconnect the electrics in mine as I only use the manual button which sits right next to my left hand anyway, then it would do exactly what you want.
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:18 pm

I wonder how they did it at the factory when they made them. i can't see our little Japanese
brothers poncing around with funnels and revving the tits off everyone as it comes off the production line.
Me thinks remove the large grommit behind the header tank with pipe from bleed pipe into tank.
Run engine to self bleed.
i can't find another use for such a big hole behind the tank.
Always be ready for a Top Up!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:05 pm

you raise the full funnel, engine not running, to purge the air through and out of the expansion tank, then when the tank is full you lower the funnel to purge the air back out of the funnel. dont let either empty at any time or you will introduce air back in.

when the engine is started,when you have as much air out as is poss, the water pump helps by introducing a flow one way, when the funnel is full the engine is revved lightly at first, this pushes the water and air bubbles towards the header tank, this also builds up heat to open the stat. let the motor idle with the funnel low and the funnel will fill, when filled again rev to empty.
continue the see saw until the stat opens and the bottom hose at the rad bottom gets too hot to hold. when the stat opens the revving of the engine will reverse the see saw so will fill the funnel, at this point the funnel needs to be raised to avoid over flowing. enter helens method of avoiding burns.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:11 pm

bongobaz wrote:I wonder how they did it at the factory when they made them. i can't see our little Japanese
brothers poncing around with funnels and revving the tits off everyone as it comes off the production line.
Me thinks remove the large grommit behind the header tank with pipe from bleed pipe into tank.

at the lowest point in the pipework -------- part way along the steel pipe that links the top hose and the rubber pipe to the top of the rad there is a little nipple 13-104t on this link, i think they fill it from below from here or vac fill it, its got no other use.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:12 pm

bongobaz wrote:I wonder how they did it at the factory when they made them. i can't see our little Japanese
Titter ye not......but I did, heartily. Wonderful stuff Baz =D> :lol: =D> :lol:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:58 am

Simon Jones wrote:Something like this might be helpful during bleeding: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-48700-Throt ... B000XSEBEK

Chap that did my LPG made something with a heavy metal base that sits on the floor and a hinged 'foot' which presses against the pedal and then a threaded bolt which adjusts the position of the foot. Keep meaning to make something similar for when I'm tinkering with the cars.
Hi Simon...
I like that!....I'm afraid we have a large block of concrete that does the same :lol: ...must make something a bit more "adjustable"
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:53 am

Hi
The jug is merely to have a handle...it seems to work the same way, as it siphons and fills. Him indoors always got tired of balancing a funnel, and there was no way of resting the funnel on the low part of the "see-saw", so we have used the jug about a dozen times....only just tested the one with the hollow handle, fixed piping and tap, plus I do mix and match the heating process with the factory method of revving. To get the info on when the stat opens, I use the sensor on the bottom hose....I just read the temperature in the cab...it doubles as an adjunct to bleeding, but the primary purpose is when driving, to check the system. When the main outflow on the head reaches 90 + , and the bottom hose is at 40 + , and the fans kick in, with no bubbles in the jug...Job Done. Off for a test run!
Cheers
Helen
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:47 pm

Liking the jug, looks more foolproof. I can now think of a use for the washing machine waste pipe upside down "U" support that's been sitting in a drawer for yonks.
For those with Waeco cruise control, it can be used in diagnostic mode to raise/lower engine revs.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:51 pm

For solo revving I tied some cord to the top of the accelerator..passed it through the drivers side seatbelt guide and across to the passenger side....pull to go faster!
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:56 am

Hi
Well, It stops "him indoors" burning his fingers, and there is a lot less swearing....mind you, on the plus side in this "furrin" land, the neighbours have learned a lot of nice new English words.....
"Mornin' Mr B****r"
Cheers
Helen
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:03 pm

I gave my van a precautionary bleed using a rig like this (Shameless copy, as promised!). Excellent idea.

One big advantage is that the valve makes it all so much more controllable.

Once you get towards the end of a "jug at the bottom, filling up" part of the cycle, close the tap, move the jug to the dashboard, tap all the bubbles in the hose from the valve to the jug up the way, so they are sat inbetween the 2 90deg elbows, drop the jug and open the tap for a final wee 'push' over the top, and once they hit the surface, raise the jug again for the "jug at the top, emptying" part of the cycle.

Thanks (once again) for sharing an invaluable Bongo tip!

DA
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:14 pm

dave_aber wrote:I gave my van a precautionary bleed using a rig like this (Shameless copy, as promised!). Excellent idea.

One big advantage is that the valve makes it all so much more controllable.

Once you get towards the end of a "jug at the bottom, filling up" part of the cycle, close the tap, move the jug to the dashboard, tap all the bubbles in the hose from the valve to the jug up the way, so they are sat inbetween the 2 90deg elbows, drop the jug and open the tap for a final wee 'push' over the top, and once they hit the surface, raise the jug again for the "jug at the top, emptying" part of the cycle.

Thanks (once again) for sharing an invaluable Bongo tip!

DA
Plagiarism rules. Excellent idea Helen. We developed the exact same finesse as dave_aber here to clear air from the inverted U-bend over the jug side. I also cut the tubing at an angle so it would not seal against the bottom of the jug. The valve is like a pause button to allow for watching the next stage of the video, topping up the expansion tank or checking for leaks. FanImage
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Techie Stuff”