Mikey B has another question

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Mikey B

Mikey B has another question

Post by Mikey B » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:10 am

Before anyone thinks I'm stupid , where is the dipstick (not me) for checking the engine oil, and where do I top it up from?

Cheers
Mikey B
Keswick

Post by Keswick » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:12 am

I don't think you are stupid, but you will think Mazda are when you find out!

I can't describe it accurately, apart from moving the passenger seat out of the way, so I'll let an experienced Bongoer advise you on how to do it.
Gra Yorks

Post by Gra Yorks » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:03 pm

No question is 'stupid' if you dont know the answer !
Remove the centre console by unscrewing the plastic wing nuts ( secreted under the ash tray and one in the back recess).
Lift up the carpet around the base of the passenger seat and undo the 3 spring clasps ... the seat will then tip back to reveal ....... YES and engine !!!
The dipstick is to the left ( i think ) with the filler cap in the normal place on top of the rocker cover.
Mikey B

Oil

Post by Mikey B » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:23 pm

Yep I had a big surprise when I lifted the bonnet, and saw where you can add water, screen wash, brake fluid but no engine.

Thanks for the replies, I go and check it out now.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:40 pm

Mikey while you are in there check all the pipes for rubbing, some of them fit into spring clips and work loose, you will see what I mean when you check, lots of us have had to re clip or use ties to hold them out of the way, if some of these rub through...big problems, there are threads on here regarding it. Good luck, Happy motoring.
--------------------
Remember a dog is for lunch not just for breakfast.. :lol:

Old vietnamese proverb.
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:24 pm

If I may jump in here with a (sort of) related question - does the driver's side lift the same way? I've found the dipstick but didn't check the driver's side. According to the manual it appears the driver's side lifts the same way but I've got the middle conversion from Manchester Campers and the unit will prevent the seat from tipping back - so how do you do it? I'm having an alarm / immobiliser fitted on Monday so will the fitter need to access the engine compartment?

Cheers... Vince
Gra Yorks

Post by Gra Yorks » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:11 pm

Moving the drivers seat fully forward and tipping the backrest forward too may give you sufficient access to the engine bay at the drivers side when you lift it up.
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:38 pm

If you do top up the oil, cover the alternator so as not to drip oil into its workings, otherwise a costly repair may follow :cry:
Image Pete
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:41 pm

Thanks for the tips... :D :D

Vince
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:16 pm

or use a funnel and a one litre oil can

Return to “Techie Stuff”