Avenir Vermont: Positioning on a Bongo with rear spoiler

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongo'd

Avenir Vermont: Positioning on a Bongo with rear spoiler

Post by Bongo'd » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:52 am

After reading the Members' Fact Sheet, I purchased the recommended Avenir Vermont for my '97 Bongo with spoiler. A great piece of kit, I agree.

My only concern is that the top pads are against the rear screen. Is this OK? Some of the pics on the Fact Sheet seem to feature this.

The only alternative seems to be configuring the frame over the spoiler, but then you need a stepladder to mount/dismount the bikes!

Thank you in anticipation of your responses.

Griffin
Bongolier

Post by Griffin » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:21 am

Cant be 100% sure about the Bongo as I use a towbar contraption on mine but on my Seat Alhambra the bike rack fits just like your picture with the 'mounts' against the window. Cant imagine it'll be a problem - we often have 4 bikes on ours (2 kids, 2 adults plus sometimes scooters etc strapped on).
tigger
Bongolier

Post by tigger » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:42 am

It's fine against the glass. I use an Avenir Arizona - very similar design I think - and I've done a couple of thousand miles with it on and loaded with bikes (and with the top pads on the glass) with no problems whatsoever. Never even thought about it to be honest! I think the weight of the bikes takes most of the load off the glass anyway.

My top tip with these racks is to make sure you get the straps at the best angle so that pushing the hook end of the strap to either side doesn't loosen it. Also check all straps for tightness after the first couple of miles. And if possible, rest the lower pads (Vermont might be diferent here though) on the sloping bit of tailgate below the number plate - rather than on the top of the rear bumper.

tigger

Return to “Techie Stuff”