Carrying skinny spare on the back door

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

langtoftnick
Bongonaut

Re: Carrying skinny spare on the back door

Post by langtoftnick » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:46 am

I am looking at a space saver from a Honda FRV 2004, the tyre is right, the rim is right, the bolt circle diameter is right and the stud holes are right... the center boss is 3mm too small but motor engineer neighbour says that;s a trivial fix. Only doubt is if it is dished properly to clear the brakes.

I didn't realise this was going to be such a minefield!
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:20 am

langtoftnick wrote:I am looking at a space saver from a Honda FRV 2004, the tyre is right, the rim is right, the bolt circle diameter is right and the stud holes are right... the center boss is 3mm too small but motor engineer neighbour says that;s a trivial fix. Only doubt is if it is dished properly to clear the brakes.

I didn't realise this was going to be such a minefield!
People do ditch their spacesaver rims so if you put the message out here and on facebook and keep an eye out you should be able to get an OEM rim albeit with a tyre that needs replacing.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 am

If ... you have a tow bar and If you can find one ... the 'old' BakRak spare wheel carrier was OK even for a full size spare wheel ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Techie Stuff”