Ticking noise from / around gearbox on automatic petrol bongo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bonkersforbongos
Apprentice Bongonaut

Ticking noise from / around gearbox on automatic petrol bongo

Post by bonkersforbongos » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:13 pm

Hello we have a V6 which is petrol but also converted to LPG (it uses both, and switches between).

Lately we have been driven mad by a slight 'ticking' noise coming from around or near the gearbox. It goes away when we drive and put the gears in Neutral, but comes back as soon as we put it back into Drive again so we think it is gearbox related.

It picks up speed slightly when the van picks up speed, but it's not constant. Sometimes its not there at all when the van first gets going, and kicks in later.

Anyway the garage seemed to think its gearbox related too and were going to rebuild the gearbox - but then they said it was a solenoid instead. https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide ... -solenoid/ so fixed that.

However we have got it back and the bloody ticking is still there so we are sending it back again to be looked at again. GAH.

Has anyone had similar as we'd appreciate ensuring we have more views than just the garages? Its like Japanese water torture.

We also want to know whether it's probably going to be a 'fixable' thing or 'one of those things' that happens as a van gets older. Ours is 2001, shipped over from Japan, and fitted with a Wellhouse Leisure full conversion. She's a beaut, but we know she is getting old...
Bonneville
Bongolier

Re: Ticking noise from / around gearbox on automatic petrol bongo

Post by Bonneville » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:11 am

It's really tricky to diagnose noises without hearing it but clicking can come from the prop joints. Does it do this when standing or only driving? Putting it in neutral takes the load off the drive train so does not necessarily point to gearbox. They could take the rear up and put it through the gears to listen.
Unfortunately, proper diagnoses takes time which people are often reluctant to pay for so you end up with a new gearbox which may or may not fix it.
Also, on the subject of load, some engine noises can actually get quieter when loaded (piston slap), others get noisier under load (rod bearings). Is it a rhythmic noise that rises with revs or constant?
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi i have a 2.0 petrol and have what seems to be the same noise, it does not do it in neutral or when driving, but it does it when in gear and stopped.
Its been doing it for a few months with no change to the noise or performance of the gearbox or engine.
I'm beginning to think its something thats slightly worn outwith the gearbox and engine and just vibrating off of something.
Will be able to look at it soon so i will keep you posted when i geta result.
Must point out that i only hear it when i'm outside the vehicle and not when i'm in it.
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:41 pm

On both versions of the petrol engine, there is a solenoid that is situated under the passenger side seat that forms part of the EGR and fuel system that extracts fuel vapour into a carbon cleaning canister, this is often reported as making a clicking sound ?
its part 18-740E on both engines;
2l petrol;
http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... o=.html#15

V6 petrol;
http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Seiris
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Seiris » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:38 am

g8dhe, you have hit the nail on the head, well for me anyways.

V6, had this annoying ticking sound for a few weeks now. Only happens in Drive generally when you are on the accelerator. Finished my night shift today, decided to try and get to the bottom of it, spent 30 minutes driving around my local industrial estate with the passenger seat up trying to echo locate the noise. Decided it was down or near the Canister. Head torch on, driving very slowly and I am touching all that area trying to trace the tick. Bingo its the solenoid. Quick trip to lushprojects when I get back home traced the part googled it and well here I am! All I have to do is find one now.

Cheers! :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:25 am

Thanks. :)

It's always useful to hear how a problem is resolved. =D>
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:45 am

I reckon you can get the solenoid from Mazda UK as it's found on other Mazdas. See here: https://www.amayama.com/en/part/mazda/f28518741a
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Seiris
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Seiris » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:37 pm

That's a great link, thank you Ian. I will fire off an email to my local Mazda dealer see if they can help, if not, your link. From reading other posts on here it doesn't seem to be anything critical but since I installed the diesel heater under the seat and thus have a big hole in the centre console it's been doing my nut in!

Return to “Techie Stuff”