jacking up a bongo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

alex_bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

jacking up a bongo

Post by alex_bongo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:52 am

I'm sure this is on bongo fury somewhere but I can't find it...what points under the bongo is it safe to put the scissor jack to change a tyre? Photos or a video would be appreciated
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: jacking up a bongo

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi, welcome aboard. 8)

I'm pretty sure the handbook show the supplied jack locating on stregthened points front and back of the cills.

I wouldn't use any other jack this way, and I'm nervous of this type of jacking point anyway.

I use a trolley jack on the points suggested by Dandywarhole on this old thread:

viewtopic.php?t=30613

If you pop a rough location in your profile someone local may well help out. :wink:

Edit: Found this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mazda ... y2diVQaLKM
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:34 pm

Good advice.

Worth reading the sad tale of 'Little Johnny Head in a Bongo'.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74436&p=699025&hili ... go#p699025
Torichegs
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Torichegs » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi there. I've just signed up to this. Could you help at all? If I want to ask questions o here do I need to join and pay the fee? I cant find a way of posting a question. Maybe I'm missing something? Thanks in advance. Vicki
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:19 pm

Hi Vicki

Welcome to BF. 8)

You're most welcome to post on here, and do ask anything.

Pick a relevant section, say, Technical or Off Messsge, log in and click 'New Topic' and type away.

Sit back and await sensible answers. :wink:
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:51 pm

I have an Aero and even my low entry trolley jack won't get under the skirts. Guess I could use the supplied jack to raise her slightly and then slide the trolley jack, not sure why I did not think of that last year.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:48 pm

Maybe drive up onto a small ramp before slipping trolley jack in place? 8)
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:13 pm

Yes, I tried to drive onto my Halfords car ramps and the front spoiler/skirt hits the bloody ramp before the wheels. :shock: A kerb would help as well I guess.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:16 pm

Maybe a leveling ramp or home made bit of wood? :wink:

Edit: There's this kind of thing, but I'm sure you can go cheaper-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-5-tonn ... pair/8060j
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:34 pm

Yes indeed good idea, cheers :D
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:34 pm

I used to have a couple of MX5's and I had similar problems so I got a railway sleeper and cut it in half diagonally (with chain saw). This enabled me to drive on it and raise the car about 5 inches so I could then get a normal size trolley jack under.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:10 pm

Same problem here. I use my ramps and drive onto them a bit so i can get the 3 ton trolley jack into place (don't use 2 ton - i've seen one let go under the weight of a Bongo [-X )
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:34 pm

I had to use the factory supplied Jack the other day to change the front wheel. It was the best factory fitted Jack I've ever used. It was shaped to fit perfectly onto the rear of the wishbone. The ratchet made lifting easy and the whole thing felt very secure.

I wish I had used that last time at home. I used the trolley Jack but as per the others the side skirts get in the way. My ramps hit the front bumper skirt. I have a big piece of wood that I had to drive onto, then I could get the Jack under.

I cringed the other day when I took it to the tyre place for tracking. As they put it on the 4 post ramp the side skirts missed the floor by millimeters!
ade33
Bongolier

Post by ade33 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:53 pm

When we bought our bus, I used it as an excuse to get a big'ol shiny new trolley jack, and I jack in the centre of the front crossmember, or under the rear diff housing, per a diagram I saw on here (or fb) somewhere - I'm sure it was here though (correct me if I'm wrong, I frequently am :D ).

Then a pair of sturdy axle stands go in before I even think of 'going under'. I always leave the jack in place too, as you can't be too careful. A slipping Bongo (or any vehicle) will end your life quickly if you're daft enough to venture underneath without adequate support.

I'm a bit of a serial 'axle-stand moaner', and make no apology for it; we had a bloke killed at work in a jacking accident and it was jolly unpleasant for all concerned, especially the unfortunate victim.

I like the idea of the railway sleeper ramps - you'd struggle to find anything much sturdier (is that even a word?).
Gaza
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Gaza » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:31 pm

Hello, not sure if I should of started a new post but will try here first. Just wondering if someone could help with front jacking points, I know it’s normally under the lower arm bush but I’m replacing the lower arm and not sure where to safely jack up? Any help would be much appreciate

Return to “Techie Stuff”