Cooling Fan Wiring

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

eNigMar
Junior Bongonaut

Cooling Fan Wiring

Post by eNigMar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi,

I have a 2001 2.5L Diesel Bongo. The front cooling fans are on from turning the ignition on.

This is a full conversion and I think the wiring for the fans has been altered (This is my first Bongo so have nothing to compare it to).

There is a relay on the drivers side that has a hot wire from the rear of the drivers fuse holder. This connects to the power input of the relay. The earth from this relay goes to the sensor and then back out of the sensor to an earth point on the body. The other side of the relay is wired to the fan relays next to the radiator (earth and power).

This means that the sensor should be doing the switching via the earth from the relay to the earth on the body.

The problem is that the relay is powered immediately upon connection meaning that the sensor is permanently closed. Hence the fans coming on immediately.

I tested the old sensor and found 0.00 Ohms between the pins. I changed the sensor for a new one and for the first drive the fans didn't come on. Yay! However, the next drive they did. I tested the new sensor and that is now reading the same 0.00 Ohms resistance.

The only thing that I can think of is that the sensor requires 5V and feeding it 12V direct from the fuse box is causing the sensor to fail.

Can anybody confirm that the sensor should have 5V and that 12V might cause this problem, or am I barking up the wrong tree and 12V is fine?

What else could cause a new sensor to go closed circuit after a single drive.

I have no temperature problems and have travelled many miles without issue.

Cheers,

Nige
eNigMar
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Cooling Fan Wiring

Post by eNigMar » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:02 pm

S'ok i fixed it.

The relay was wired incorrectly. I rewired and all is good again.

It was wired so that the switching provided by the sensor was bypassed causing it to run whenever the ignition was on.

Nige
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:17 pm

Well done. 8)
cst_tsc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by cst_tsc » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:00 pm

Where is the relay?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:02 am

The radiator fan relays are located underneath and in front of the starter battery, a block of 6 relays, exact positions of the relays depends on year and engine type.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”