0400, 1228 & the EGR

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

PBJ Treglown
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: 0400, 1228 & the EGR

Post by PBJ Treglown » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:35 pm

Thought I'd contribute to this as our 2.5 td bongo had a similar problem with the turbo. This was resolved by using turbo cleaner ( Wynns ); if the wastegate actuator can be moved ( held with pliers ) you can scrub the exposed bits with old toothbrush and turbo cleaner, this seemed to help. The whole thing improved massively ( no warning light flashing and a return to full engine power) after a long drive up a steep Welsh road in second gear. I reckon that the turbo cleaner was able to blast clean the vanes and actuator thereby unsticking them.
Bongofamily
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongofamily » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:57 am

Did you use the fuel additive from Wynns or the aerosol? If you used the aerosol did you take the turbo off to clean it or spray it up the exhaust side?

I got the exhaust off and use Mr Muscle, in the end overnight and was still getting quite a lot of thick black discharge. Reassembled and drove and the glow light has been more intermittent. Wonder if I need to retreat. I have found though that if I disconnect it the actuator rod move freely, but the linkage into the turbo barely moves at all so freeing this up is the challenge.
costas
Bongonaut

Post by costas » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:48 pm

Coming back with a broken heart to report that after many trouble free miles, the errors are back and back with gusto.

I’ve been running on the ‘good’ diesel since I thought I solved the problem and repeated the mr muscle clean but the errors and loss of power now happen as soon as the engine gets to normal temp, every time, without fail. If I let her rest for a little to clear the errors but the engine not completely cool they pop up after a minute.

Not sure what’s next for me now but do feel the need to report back on this.

Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:37 pm

I don't have the techie knowledge to help, but jolly rotten luck. :(
Rhondda boy
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Rhondda boy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi everyone,

Costas, so sorry your back to square one again I know how you are feeling.

I am still trying to resolve this exhausting problem, I have changed two solenoids under the passenger seat and I thought the problem had been resolved but took it for a run this morning and the flashing light is back.

Like you I’m not sure where to go from here.

I am going to have a look at the scavenger fan temp sensor under next to the hand break, I’m thinking this problem may be a temp problem.

I will keep you updated

Clayton
Kirsty1330
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kirsty1330 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:20 pm

Hey All,

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this?

I have 2 Bongo’s the latest being the newer (‘02) which is constantly getting on my nerves!

I have replaced all the Vacuum Solenoid Valves, pipes, Scavenger Fan temp switch, cleaned EGR’s etc but all to No avail!

When I replaced one of the VSV’s on the drivers side under the seat it seemed to do the trick & worked great for a month or so with no issues what so ever with the flashing glow plugs, then it developed a fault when warm🙈...

It would then start no issues at all from cold but after a drive would idle low/rough then cut out (not great on an Auto in the middle of a road/giveway etc) then when I tried to start it again it would just turn over but not fire (almost like no fuel or air?) if i kept the accelerator pedal pinned to the floor it would then start again but very rough!

Anyway, was putting up with this until I could try & figure that out then the dreaded flashing glow plug lights on again! Same codes: 0400 & 1228!

Had a VW before but always fancied the Bongos... think I may have made the wrong choice there!

My ‘98 2.5TD seems to have no issues at all, just can’t figure out why the newer model is so bad?

Now just need to get them cleaned up & hopefully sell them on & move on... trade in value for these things are ridiculous! Anyone know where is best to advertise them? Tried Gumtree earlier in the year but was bombarded with tyre kickers & time-wasters🙈
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:59 pm

Might just be worth eliminating the diesel fuel cap and its air inlet valve being blocked, causing a vacuum to form on the fuel line, this tends to lead to poor running and stalling at roundabouts and stop lines etc.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
costas
Bongonaut

Post by costas » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:07 pm

I’ve taken the girl to my go-to garage who checked an awful lot, both at cold and operating temp and we’re none the wiser.

Pipes and solenoids all seem golden although I don’t believe the scavenger can temp switch was checked. The conversation ended with ‘is it worth taking a punt on a new turbo?’. Not for us, that’s an investment too far with no certainty (and I can’t find one with the vertical actuator anyway).

We’re about to throw in the towel and cut our loses but worried about the impact of this on the value. Hoping the covid camper rush will soften the blow!

On a side note, Geoff’s comments on the fuel cap are definitely worth checking out. Barbara started from cold like a dream but after a run we had to bury the throttle to get her to start, turned out it was just as described above and now all sorted.

Good luck all, I’ll of course report back if we find the silver bullet.
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:11 am

Surely bongos don’t run vgt turbos I thought they were just wastegate old school
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:17 am

willow2u wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:11 am Surely bongos don’t run vgt turbos I thought they were just wastegate old school

They have them on the later models.
Kirsty1330
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kirsty1330 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:24 pm

Finally got to the bottom of the flashing glow-plug Light...

Removed the passenger seat hatch & watched the actuator... seemed very sticky then would close & enter limp mode (flashing glow-plug light)

Moves the actuator a few times with a pair of pliers & it burst back into life for a short period then would come on again...

Took off the exhaust front pipe (when cold) & sprayed the inside of the turbo with egr/carb cleaner whilst moving the actuator rod to try & free it off, then blew it all out with a compressor. Rebuilt & went for a run. Done 70km without any flashing lights, turbo spooled up nicely & felt like a new motor (much better pick up when accelerating) Stopped for fuel & when fired back up the light re-appeared🙈

So, looks like the veins are clogged on the turbo...
Now just need to try & find a new turbo & pretty sure it should be good🙏

Turbo is:
IHI VJ29 0112
WLF8

Anyone know where I can get a new Turbo or a decent Re-conditioned? Don’t fancy chancing a 2nd hand one.
Found some spares & seals so might look at stripping it down & trying to clean it up
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:38 pm

No way do the bongos run vgt turbos they run vacuum controlled wastegates surely they aren’t even common rail diesels are they
costas
Bongonaut

Post by costas » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:02 am

Happy new year guys, hope you’re all staying safe and sane!

Finally went to revisit this problem since the old girls getting use ferrying kids and bikes... albeit in limp home mode!

My immediate kick in of the error is obvious after a look today, the actuator arm doesn’t even move when revving immediately after start up, seems completely dead unless manually moved (which clears the error while running). While this might sound a step in the wrong direction, I’m hoping it gives the garage something more to work with when I finally get her there.

Not sure if anyone has made any headway with this issue, I do wish everyone the best.
Stevievee
Bongolier

Post by Stevievee » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:41 pm

Just going through this myself. Had the ‘sticky’ actuator rod freed up by the guys at Bongospares at the end of May. Completed lots of miles since then, holiday from Yorkshire to Cornwall, plus other trips away! All fine... until this weekend, coil light started flashing 2 hours into a journey (Same codes as above). It’s back at Bongospares as we speak. Passed its MOT and had a service. It terms of the fault light, they have suggested cleaning the turbo as a ‘temporary’ solution, new turbo being the final fix!

Just watched the YouTube video from Costos with great excitement... then read this thread, so a little deflated to say the least.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on what is said here!!
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:56 pm

Looking at the lush drawings the early design with the horizontal pushrod being converted to rotational movement seems like failure waiting to happen the later vnt looks more conventional Garrett design so should last longer just check that it all moves freely and easily

Return to “Techie Stuff”